You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a question, but here goes. I have a red heart outline on a white background with a transparent hole in the center to let another image show through. I saved it in Affinity Photo as a png. When I place it in Pagemaker the hole is white again. Is there a way to keep the hole transparent?

image.png

3 hours ago, Linda Carlson said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a question, but here goes. I have a red heart outline on a white background with a transparent hole in the center to let another image show through. I saved it in Affinity Photo as a png. When I place it in Pagemaker the hole is white again. Is there a way to keep the hole transparent?

image.png

Welcome to the forums :)

What File Settings do you have? Should be Selection Only.

pngexportsettings.jpg.3fe6cba990d1da0f9c543cb01d4e24ff.jpg

Also it helps to have the Document color setting to Transparent Background.

docTrnsptbckg.jpg.2c41604bf39bf084c7d4e0801dd95f7c.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a question, but here goes.

I can't think of a better place than the Questions section.

I have a red heart outline on a white background with a transparent hole in the center to let another image show through. I saved it in Affinity Photo as a png.

As saved, that heart clearly(!) has a transparent hole.

When I place it in Pagemaker the hole is white again. Is there a way to keep the hole transparent?

Given that Affinity Photo correctly exported the image with transparency preserved, this looks more like a Pagemaker issue than an Affinity one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

According to the internet voodoo Pagemaker doesn't support transparency but will accept clipping paths in tiffs
I have created a curve for the hole and another for the whole image, these were merged then moved to the clipping position
If you export a tiff then it works in Photoshop and may work in Pagemaker but I don't have it.
Otherwise try a psd as this retains the Curves layer as editable paths in Photoshop
Please let us know as it may help others

redheart.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Alternatively to TIFF mentioned by David you can try JPG with a masking curves layer + saved with the clipping path option.

It will open in Affinity with path and transparency, unfortunately there is no way in Affinity to activate its path if the image gets placed, instead we need to open -> copy/paste the object.

screenshot.jpg.f24ef99578a293f824f5a3bc3d135f1b.jpg

screenshot2.jpg.52db4c5f56e0fee78f7a74c219bdeb0d.jpg

heart wth clipping path.jpg.zip <- The attached JPG is zipped to avoid the default recompression by the forums software to jpgs.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

38 minutes ago, GripsholmLion said:

Admittedly not apropos of the discussion, but we need a "groan" reaction button for Alfred's puns. 😁

Not a reaction button, but perhaps the next best thing (or next worst thing, depending on your point of view):

groooansmileyf.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)