You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Space before and after Headings

Hello everyone. I am the one who had text flowing to and from a footer. I finally was able to unlink this text box from the rest, so hopefully everything will work correctly from this point forward. Ty to all who offered help.

Now, I have another problem I can't seem to fix. I have too much space before and after my Heading 2. It has an underline and I'm not sure if that is affecting anything or not. I am using a baseline grid so my columns line up. Don't know if this is the problem or not. I have tried to read through as many forum entries dealing with this topic as I could, but nothing I do seems to work. When I change the space after from 3 to 2 under the "Edit Heading 2" under Text Styles, the spacing after the heading goes from too much to too little. Does anyone have any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.1ad9af7adc7935ec72040bfb9504d19e.png

1 minute ago, Godsgirl said:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Most likely you have Align to Baseline Grid turned on for all the Paragraph Styles. Turn it off for the "Navigation" heading Paragraph Style.

I use Exact leading for all my Paragraph Styles and do not use the Baseline grid. You may want to use the Baseline grid for the Paragraph Style which is used for the bulk/body/normal/whatever-it-is-called of the text. This will assist in lining up the text at the bottom of pages which is something a great many people worry about. An inordinate amount of worry in my opinion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

37 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Most likely you have Align to Baseline Grid turned on for all the Paragraph Styles. Turn it off for the "Navigation" heading Paragraph Style.

I use Exact leading for all my Paragraph Styles and do not use the Baseline grid. You may want to use the Baseline grid for the Paragraph Style which is used for the bulk/body/normal/whatever-it-is-called of the text. This will assist in lining up the text at the bottom of pages which is something a great many people worry about. An inordinate amount of worry in my opinion.

Mr. Old Bruce, that was it!!!!  Thank you so much!!! I have worried for days over this thing. You are truly a lifesaver!! Oh. One more question: How do I make this change global for my Heading 2?  Where exactly do I go within the Edit to do this?  Thx again.

In the Paragraph Style itself. In the Text Styles panel double click on the name of the Paragraph Style, or click on the little three line "hamburger menu".

ScreenShot2024-03-07at10_50_16AM.png.4559b776467fb4a51944ada86efccbbc.png

ScreenShot2024-03-07at10_54_37AM.png.220a7f0b2b78181876c1ede040cd288e.png

ScreenShot2024-03-07at10_53_58AM.png.d2e4194f44fa75305736913b7a331b96.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Posted (edited)

Thx so much!

Ok, another question. In the example below, what is the double downward arrow and how do I get rid of it?  I want this text frame to flow to the next text frame. When I hit Enter to add a paragraph mark, it also added this back to the end of the text.

image.png.1fd9af3d92e1ad0b64453aa2594d08e9.png

Edited by Godsgirl
forgot the example

Double downward arrow is the special character for Page break.

3 hours ago, Godsgirl said:

Ok, another question.

If it's another question, you'd better create a new thread. 😉 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.