You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Perspective Filter result via Publisher and Photo with Picture Frames

Publisher and Photo 2.3.1 on Windows 10.

See attached video.

Workflow to reproduce:

1. In Publisher, add a grid of Picture Frames with the Quick Grid functionality;
  2. Replace the image with the same image in each frame;
  3. Group the frames;
  4. Switch to the Photo Persona;
  5. Add a Live Perspective Filter;
  6. Switch to the Publisher/Designer Persona.

A strange ‘before image’ of the original group exists, kind of ‘inside’ the perspective-warped group.
No amount of zooming gets rid of it.
Saving and opening the document doesn’t get rid of it either.
This happens with every image I’ve tried.

This looks wrong to me but I thought I'd ask to see if I am missing something or just doing it wrong.

Using your recipe I can't get the same result, but from what your layer panel shows it looks like you have added a mask (?) to the group or something.

Anyway, can you upload a sample file so we can check it out?

EDIT: I just attached a small (~1.5MB) Live perspective.afpub file with a grouped 3 x 3 picture frame & live perspective filter applied. I'm pretty sure I followed your recipe exactly but as I hope you can see, my results look normal to me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I did the same as you @R C-R and got a good result no weird display. Having said that, we are both on mac and with different versions of Affinity to @GarryP

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

25 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Having said that, we are both on mac and with different versions of Affinity to @GarryP

To avoid any confusion about version numbers, I just updated my sig to show that I am now running V2.4.0 of the desktop apps. I assume @GarryP is also running V2.4.0 but obviously on Windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes I'm on V2.4.0

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The file supplied by R C-R looked okay when I loaded it.

I tried doing the same thing – where the boundary of the group was wholly inside the page boundary – and that worked okay.

I then tried, a couple of times, to replicate what I did yesterday and that worked okay both times too, oddly.

I’ve attached an example file that I made yesterday, which still looks wrong today.

Maybe it’s just ‘one of those things’.

untitled.afpub

• Staff

Hi @GarryP,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm that I've been able to replicate this issue on both macOS and Windows (though the exhibited behaviour is a little different between these) - and there's actually a few separate issues here.

Windows -

Perspective applied to Picture Frame without committing:

1. New doc
  2. Add picture frame, ensuring it remains entirely within the page boundaries
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Photo Persona
  5. Add Live Perspective Filter
  6. Adjust the filter but do not commit changes with Enter
  7. Publisher Persona
    ⚠ Note the Live Filter now has a layer mask, causing the image to appear outside the Perspective filter area

Perspective applied to Picture Frame within a group:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Add Frame to Group
  5. Photo Persona
  6. Add Live Perspective Filter
  7. Adjust the filter
    ⚠ Note the more you adjust the filter, the slower the app is to render these changes. This does not occur when the Frame is not grouped

Perspective applied to Picture Frame partially off canvas without committing:

1. New doc
  2. Add picture frame, ensuring it is partially outside the page boundaries
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Photo Persona
    ⚠ Note that without adjusting the Filter, corruption appears outside the page boundaries (this changes based on zoom level)
  7. Publisher Persona
    ⚠ Note the Live Filter now has a layer mask, causing the image to appear duplicated/corrupted both inside and outside the Perspective filter area

Perspective applied to Picture Frame partially off canvas within a group:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Add Frame to Group
  5. Photo Persona
    ⚠ Note that without adjusting the Filter, corruption appears outside the page boundaries (this changes based on zoom level)
  7. Adjust the filter
    ⚠ Note that areas of the canvas do not redraw correctly, until you zoom
    (Changing Personas at this stage without committing causes the same issue as reported above) 
  8. Commit the Filter changes with Enter
  9. Publisher Persona
  10. Zoom
    ⚠ Note that areas off canvas are not drawn correctly, or render very slowly

macOS -

Perspective applied to Picture Frame:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Photo Persona
  6. Zoom
    ⚠ Note that corruption appears outside of the canvas, and changes as you zoom

Perspective applied to Picture Frame without committing:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Photo Persona
  7. Publisher Persona
    Note there is no mask applied to the Perspective Filter - do not change your current selection (the Perspective Filter should be selected)
  8. Photo Persona
    ⚠ Note now a Mask layer is added to the Perspective Filter, without needing to make any changes to the Filter or your selection. The image is now duplicated/corrupted outside of the Perspective area

Perspective applied to Picture Frame within a group:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Add Frame to Group
  5. Photo Persona
  7. Adjust the filter
    ⚠ Note the more you adjust the filter, the slower the app is to render these changes. This does not occur when the Frame is not grouped

Perspective applied to Picture Frame partially off canvas without committing:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Photo Persona
  7. Publisher Persona
    Note there is no mask applied to the Perspective Filter - do not change your current selection (the Perspective Filter should be selected)
  8. Photo Persona
    ⚠ Note now a Mask layer is added to the Perspective Filter, without needing to make any changes to the Filter or your selection. The image is now duplicated/corrupted both inside and outside of the Perspective area

Perspective applied to Picture Frame partially off canvas within a group:

1. New doc
  3. Fill with any image
  4. Add Frame to Group
  5. Photo Persona
  7. Adjust the filter
    ⚠ Note that areas of the canvas do not redraw correctly, until you zoom
    (Changing Personas at this stage without committing, then returning to the Photo Persona without changing selection causes the same issue as reported above) 
  8. Commit the Filter changes with Enter
  9. Publisher Persona
  10. Zoom
    ⚠ Note that areas off canvas are not drawn correctly, or render very slowly

I'm going to get this all logged with our development team now, and request with our QA team that further investigations are made with the Mesh Warp filter & perspective Tool, to catch any similar issues with alternative warping methods.

I hope this helps!