You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Scaling Behavior

Sometimes when I scale a text box, it behaves strangely. The text box begins to slide around in the direction I'm scaling. I've attached a video. The video shows this occurring horizontally, but it has also occurred vertically.

I've also attached the project file. It has occurred when resizing my Table of Contents boxes and  while resizing the "Playtest" text.

I'm on Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1.
Hardware Acceleration is on.

AA_PT01_Intro.afpub

• Staff

Hi @Demonskunk,

Thanks for your report!

I've been testing with your file on both Windows and macOS and I'm unable to trigger this issue at this time - equally we've not seen this being reported by other users, so might indicate an issue local to your machine.

Inspecting the screen recording you've provided, I can see just before this occurs the app flashes multiple times with 'Loading 1 document...' in the top toolbar, I've attempted to highlight this with my cursor below - 

Although I can't be certain, it's possible this is causing the issue intermittently for you. Are you aware of any attempt to load a document in the background whilst this occurs?

If not, I'd recommend closing the Affinity Publisher app fully, then restarting your mac and relaunching the app / your document. Do you find this continues to occur after restarting please? :) 

18 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Demonskunk,

Thanks for your report!

I've been testing with your file on both Windows and macOS and I'm unable to trigger this issue at this time - equally we've not seen this being reported by other users, so might indicate an issue local to your machine.

Inspecting the screen recording you've provided, I can see just before this occurs the app flashes multiple times with 'Loading 1 document...' in the top toolbar, I've attempted to highlight this with my cursor below - 

Although I can't be certain, it's possible this is causing the issue intermittently for you. Are you aware of any attempt to load a document in the background whilst this occurs?

If not, I'd recommend closing the Affinity Publisher app fully, then restarting your mac and relaunching the app / your document. Do you find this continues to occur after restarting please? :) 

I've actually got another bug report up about the loading issue. It shouldn't be loading any documents in the background.

I just opened the document  by itself  and got  no lag problems. If I open the document as PART OF ITS BOOK, it almost CONSTANTLY does the loading thing. So this seems to be a book problem.

Hi @Demonskunk,

I appreciate you've already uploaded the file in your other post where you were experiencing lag issues here... but if you still have the file in Book format are you able to Package the files up so it includes the .afbook file along with its associated Chapters so we can take a closer look to see whether there is any specific Book feature causing the file loading and lag issues...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Demonskunk,

I appreciate you've already uploaded the file in your other post where you were experiencing lag issues here... but if you still have the file in Book format are you able to Package the files up so it includes the .afbook file along with its associated Chapters so we can take a closer look to see whether there is any specific Book feature causing the file loading and lag issues...

Yeah, have at it. I hope you can find something, because I'm flabbergasted.

Aether Adrift Packages.zip

Hi @Demonskunk,

Many thanks for your files...

I'm not seeing the same strange scaling behaviour shown in your screen recording but I do see the odd file loading issue when scaling or simply moving any on-page elements despite no other files being loaded in the background and the affected file being fully loaded...

Note: This is only happening in the Intro Chapter and as yet I have no idea why moving objects is causing that Chapter to constantly reload...

As an unrelated aside you may want to go through a pre-flight check with your file (if you've not done so already) to check a few things e.g., the page numbers on pages 64 and 78 of Chapter PT03 - Gear are shown as overflow text because the tables on those two pages overlap the page number forcing the text-overflow issue which results in the page numbers being hidden...

In the instances where you've used the Heart, Diamond, Spade and Club symbols which appear in a couple of chapters the glyphs are shown as missing by pre-flight...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

7 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Demonskunk,

Many thanks for your files...

I'm not seeing the same strange scaling behaviour shown in your screen recording but I do see the odd file loading issue when scaling or simply moving any on-page elements despite no other files being loaded in the background and the affected file being fully loaded...

Note: This is only happening in the Intro Chapter and as yet I have no idea why moving objects is causing that Chapter to constantly reload...

As an unrelated aside you may want to go through a pre-flight check with your file (if you've not done so already) to check a few things e.g., the page numbers on pages 64 and 78 of Chapter PT03 - Gear are shown as overflow text because the tables on those two pages overlap the page number forcing the text-overflow issue which results in the page numbers being hidden...

In the instances where you've used the Heart, Diamond, Spade and Club symbols which appear in a couple of chapters the glyphs are shown as missing by pre-flight...

My best guess is that it's somehow related to the Table of Contents? I was running into a lot of problems with that.

And yeah, the book is still being worked on. It's in a pretty rough state because I need to figure out a way to put the chapter-marker pips and the page number bubbles on top of images and tables.

When I was doing this in InDesign I could just have those elements be part of the Master Page, but in Affinity Publisher the master page goes underneath everything else, and I'm really not wanting to have a version of the master page without the pips and page numbers just for pages with images and tables that have to go underneath them >:c But that seems like the only solution I have.

20 minutes ago, Demonskunk said:

When I was doing this in InDesign I could just have those elements be part of the Master Page, but in Affinity Publisher the master page goes underneath everything else, and I'm really not wanting to have a version of the master page without the pips and page numbers just for pages with images and tables that have to go underneath them >:c But that seems like the only solution I have.

On the affected pages you can right click the parent Master Page item in the Layers Panel on the relevant pages and select Edit Detached. This will allow you to move the Page Number Group element for individual pages above the Master Page items and above the Table without affecting the Master Page itself.

Once you’ve moved that element click the Finished button in the green band that appears at the top of the page and you should be good to go…

32 minutes ago, Hangman said:

On the affected pages you can right click the parent Master Page item in the Layers Panel on the relevant pages and select Edit Detached. This will allow you to move the Page Number Group element for individual pages above the Master Page items and above the Table without affecting the Master Page itself.

Once you’ve moved that element click the Finished button in the green band that appears at the top of the page and you should be good to go…

Oh, huh. I'll give that a try, thanks!

46 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Out of curiosity, how will this behave if pages reflow? 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

1 minute ago, Oufti said:

Out of curiosity, how will this behave if pages reflow?

In this instance it won’t make any difference as it’s simply a z-order issue where an element on a couple of the pages overlaps the page number on the Master page…