You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Export JGP & TIFF files

Batch Export JGP & TIFF files

I bought Affinity Photo yesterday, 27 Feb 2024.
I set up a workflow for my +-5000 negatives.

I cannot export my edited files in batch.

I found out that you first have to SEPARATELY save  the .afphoto files

and then you can export the .afphoto files as .JPG or .TIFF files.

I use 3 different photo editors and with all editors,

I can export my edited photos DIRECTLY in JPG or TIFF.

Please correct this "DETOUR" to save all your customers an incredible amount of time.

In my case: +-2 min. x +-5000 = +-10000 min. ( or +-160 hours)

File > New Batch Job can handle other kinds of files, but that only works if they don't need custom processing. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In APhoto, you can batch process JPG files and use an Affinity macro (created previously) in the batch file dialog screen and then export directly to JPG

(Preferably to a new folder or the original JPG file will be overwritten)

Is that what you are trying to do?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, Studiofred said:

Yes, but was is an editor for? To process and export the processed files,right?

Yes, but perhaps I don't understand what you're wanting.

If you want it automatic (which is the only way that I can think of for what you've described) then everything is going to be handled the same way. And that's already possible.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:40 AM, carl123 said:

In APhoto, you can batch process JPG files and use an Affinity macro (created previously) in the batch file dialog screen and then export directly to JPG

I scan my negatives with my DSLR+Macro Lens in RAW. I cannot DIRECTLY export the edited RAW files in JPG or TIFF. 

As I mentioned in my original proposal, I have to save every image one by one in the .afphoto format first, and only then can I batch export the .afphoto files to JPG or TIFF, ok?

On 2/29/2024 at 1:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but perhaps I don't understand what you're wanting.

If you want it automatic (which is the only way that I can think of for what you've described) then everything is going to be handled the same way. And that's already possible.

I scan my negatives with my DSLR+Macro Lens in RAW. I cannot DIRECTLY export the edited RAW files in JPG or TIFF. 

As I mentioned in my original proposal, I have to save every image one by one in the .afphoto format first, and only then can I batch export the .afphoto files to JPG or TIFF, ok?

2 hours ago, Studiofred said:

I cannot DIRECTLY export the edited RAW files in JPG or TIFF. 

Why not? You can provide Raw files as input to File > New Batch Job, and JPG or TIFF as output files from that process.

-- Walt
PC:

9 hours ago, Studiofred said:

If you are wanting to open the raw file and edit it then export it as a JPEG or TIFF then just hit the Develop button and then you can export the file, no need to save as an .afphoto file first.

If you are wanting to take 5000 raw files and batch export them then just use the File > New Batch Job... and load the raw files into the batch job.

If you are wanting to apply some basic edits to all 5000 raw files and then have them exported to JPEG or TIFF files then it is only slightly more complex. First open one raw file do the edits in the Develop Persona. Have the Output set to Raw Layer (Linked or embedded, it makes no difference because we are not saving this file). Hit the Develop button. Record a Macro, Hit the Develop Image button and you'll be in the Develop Persona again, hit the Develop button and you are back in the Photo Persona and now you hit the stop recording of the Macro. Save it with an appropriate name. Use that Macro in the Batch Process when you load up your raw files.

ScreenShot2024-03-03at9_56_43AM.png.05e310c057a00ae7b6f8b4ccbfb211d0.png

ScreenShot2024-03-03at9_59_29AM.png.de3ced32b951bc1274e8fb6ec409237e.png

Warning: Do not batch process 5000 raw files at one time. Start with 10, increase to 25, increase to 50, keep going until you hit a brick wall and then back off a bit.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If you are wanting to apply some basic edits to all 5000 raw files and then have them exported to JPEG or TIFF files then it is only slightly more complex. First open one raw file do the edits in the Develop Persona. Have the Output set to Raw Layer (Linked or embedded, it makes no difference because we are not saving this file). Hit the Develop button. Record a Macro, Hit the Develop Image button and you'll be in the Develop Persona again, hit the Develop button and you are back in the Photo Persona and now you hit the stop recording of the Macro. Save it with an appropriate name. Use that Macro in the Batch Process when you load up your raw files.

@Old Bruce Thank you...It never occurred to me that a macro recorded in AfPhoto could make the round trip to the Develop Persona and back. Very cool and quite helpful if you have a LOT of images to process with the same Develop Settings. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

Just now, Ldina said:

... quite helpful if you have a LOT of images to process with the same Develop Settings. 

I personally find it to be quite helpful when I only have two images, let alone 5000.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

If you are wanting to open the raw file and edit it then export it as a JPEG or TIFF then just hit the Develop button and then you can export the file, no need to save as an .afphoto file first.

If you are wanting to take 5000 raw files and batch export them then just use the File > New Batch Job... and load the raw files into the batch job.

ScreenShot2024-03-03at9_56_43AM.png.05e310c057a00ae7b6f8b4ccbfb211d0.png

ScreenShot2024-03-03at9_59_29AM.png.de3ced32b951bc1274e8fb6ec409237e.png

Warning: Do not batch process 5000 raw files at one time. Start with 10, increase to 25, increase to 50, keep going until you hit a brick wall and then back off a bit.

Sounds good for repeating basic edits of negative scans, but unfortunately I need to (after hitting "Invert") manually adjust the Red, Green and Blue curves, which are all different. Therefore, I suggested to the Serif company to automate this procedure (see my other suggestion). With an automated curves adjustment, your proposal would probably work PERFECT!

27 minutes ago, Studiofred said:

Sounds good for repeating basic edits of negative scans, but unfortunately I need to (after hitting "Invert") manually adjust the Red, Green and Blue curves, which are all different. Therefore, I suggested to the Serif company to automate this procedure (see my other suggestion). With an automated curves adjustment, your proposal would probably work PERFECT!

@Studiofred My experience in converting color film negatives is that each individual negative often requires different adjustments to get the best results. Have you seen the below tutorial? You CAN invert the red, green and blue channels in the Develop Persona (using Curves in the Tones Panel) and make that a part of your Batch Macro if you wish, using the procedure Old Bruce provided. I far prefer doing almost all these corrections in the Photo Persona, using a non-destructive workflow. You can create macros for inverting and adjusting your color channels in the Photo persona after developing the image. The tutorial thread also shows ways to do this more quickly and destructively if you prefer, but the best results I've been able to attain use Rev B of the tutorial (later in the thread). 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

On 2/29/2024 at 10:40 AM, carl123 said:

Sounds promising, but how should the macro look like? Don't forget my negatives are scanned in RAW and after editing they should be saved in JPG directly...

24 minutes ago, Studiofred said:

Sounds promising, but how should the macro look like? Don't forget my negatives are scanned in RAW and after editing they should be saved in JPG directly...

First, we're assuming you want them all adjusted identically, otherwise there's no possibility to batch process them.

So, you would Open one of them, and it would Open into the Develop Persona, and you would do whatever development actions you want. Then click Develop. You would then start recording a macro, click Edit Image (which puts you into the Develop Persona again), and then click Develop again to return to the Photo Persona.

Edit: Then stop the recording.

At that point, you have a macro that would (I think) contain only the "Edit image" step, but it would apply that same set of Develop actions to any other Raw file you apply it to.

-- Walt
PC:

@Studiofred I'm still not 100% clear on exactly what you want to do and how you want to work, so I will outline one possible workflow. 

1. I'll assume you have a batch of RAW files that you want to apply identical edits to in the Develop Persona. For example, studio shots taken under identical lighting that you want developed with the same exact WB, Exposure, Vibrance, Contrast, etc. If so, a Batch Job will do this for you, and you can then export those files in any supported format (afphoto, TIFF, PNG, JPG, etc) or multiple formats. 

If that's what you want to do, Edit one representative RAW file, bring it into Photo (linked or embedded RAW), then follow the procedure provided earlier in this thread to create a Macro. Then, run a Batch Job using that macro and all the images in the batch will be processed identically. If that's all you need or want to do, you're all set. That might be perfect if you just want to provide small JPG proofs to a client.

2. If that is a "preliminary step" to give you a common look to all your selected images, you can work on your photos, individually (or as a batch job in Photo using a second macro that applies all the edits you want). You can even combine two macros when running your RAW batch job, so it will Develop the files (with identical settings), then apply your post-processing macro edits as well. Macros can be designed to add adjustment layers that you can tweak if you need to make individual adjustments on each image, which saves you a few steps.

3. If you just want identical RAW processing, and want to edit each image individually, it's probably best to run that RAW batch job and save to afphoto format. Then open the exported afphoto files and tweak them one by one. That's what I do for "important images" that need to look their best. For small proofs, I just do Step 1.

What's in the Macro will depend on your workflow, how much you want to do, whether you JUST want to Develop them identically, or you also want to make further adjustments in the Photo Persona. 

Examples and a few images might help us provide the best possible guidance.