You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

placed image is outside frame?

OK, I know I need a lot more study on manipulating picture frames and pictures. But this seems odd. I generally have no trouble at least placing a picture in a frame, but in this case the picture gets placed outside the frame but still connected. When I click the center button in the frame, I can see the most-transparent image somewhere -- not just partly outside the frame (I think I understand that) but entirely.

In the attached screenshot, I have created the frame, left it selected, placed an image, and clicked the mouse on the frame-center button. (I know there's a name for it, and I will look it up tomorrow.) The screenshot is taken on a timer while I'm holding the mouse click-down. In this case, you see the image just outside the frame, but I've also had it appear at the upper left corner of the page.

I have deleted (undone that is) the frame and recreated it many times. I have saved the document, quit AfPub, and reopened. Irfanview showed the DPI blank, so I entered 72 and saved. I used Photoshop Elements to crop a tiny slice off and resaved. None of these made any difference except possibly the location of the placement as mentioned above, and if there's a correlation, I did not notice with which action.

I don't doubt that I'm missing something about how this works, but what is it that I'm missing?

Publisher image bad placement.jpg

The centre object is called the Arrowed Pan Control or Pan Controller and as you know enables you to position the image within the frame.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, paleolith said:

and clicked the mouse on the frame-center button

If you click & hold the mouse button pressed the ghost image occurs.

To get the image auto-moved back to the picture frame position it needs a double-click anywhere in this central circle.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

40 minutes ago, thomaso said:

it needs a double-click

Ah-ha. That's the biggest thing I was missing -- thanks!

@Return That looks like the image was first placed without a frame, and then moved into the frame -- am I interpreting correctly? Is this a better method than placing in the frame to start?