You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I created a document with several artboards in Affinity Designer 2.4.0.

If I now want to save an Affinity Designer document as a PDF, I can specify which page should be saved as a PDF file when exporting the PDF. Here I would like to always output all pages from the document. When exporting, I selected the entire document for the area. Now a PDF file with, for example, 6 documents is exported to me.

So far everything is working quite well. If I want to output all the pages as a PDF file a second time, I have to specify this each time. Why can't Affinity Designer remember the settings for a document?

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

Hi @deepblue,

This looks like a regression, though the behaviour isn't consistent... e.g., in v1.10.8 and earlier, 'Whole Document' is the Default when exporting Artboards to PDF up until the point you change the export format... this means even if you export an individual Artboard the next time you export to PDF, 'Whole Document' is the default selection in the export window...

If you change the export format to something else, e.g., PNG when you switch back to PDF it shows the 'selected' artboard'... even though an Artboard doesn't appear to be selected there is always one with a subtle highlight in the Layers Panel which seems to indicate that you can't 'not' have an artboard selected...

In V2 the Artboard with the subtle highlight in the Layers Panel is always the selection in the export dialog regardless of your prior selection, so selecting 'Whole Document' reverts to the 'selected' Artboard next time you go to export...

This is even the case when creating a Custom Preset using 'Whole Document', the 'Whole Document part is excluded from the Preset when selecting it...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, Affinity Designer 2.3.1 and 2.4.0 do not behave this way. I've tried this several times now. Every time I want to export my document as a PDF file, I see ArtBoard2. However, the entire document should always be in the settings. See screenshot 2.image.png.e48721931b496d9f6865677de4c70b48.pngimage.png.c8bf494d7e5b5b4b3953cb8d0a8dbb98.png

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

11 minutes ago, deepblue said:

Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, Affinity Designer 2.3.1 and 2.4.0 do not behave this way. I've tried this several times now. Every time I want to export my document as a PDF file, I see ArtBoard2. However, the entire document should always be in the settings. See screenshot 2.

That's exactly what I'm saying, in V1 this 'was' the default behaviour, in V2.3.1 and V2.4.0 the default behaviour is now the 'selected' Artboard and by 'selected I mean whichever Artboard has the Subtle highlight in the Layers Panel rather than being 'physically' selected... i.e., in this example, Artboard 3 denoted by the Subtle blue highlight Left vs actually being selected Right which still equates the last Artboard you did physically have selected...

So, if you select a different Artboard, e.g. Artboard 3 and then click a blank part of the Workspace or below all Layers in the Layers Panel, Artboard 3 will be the default selection in the PDF export window...

In V1, regardless of your last selected Artboard the default when exporting Artboards to PDF was always 'Ganzes Dokument'...

Selection.png.e627a8be06a331074e903f0cc31e4b78.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

12 hours ago, Serif Info Bot said:

An issue raised in this thread ("Export area is not remembered between exports") has now been reported to the developers by the testing team (Ref: AF-86). Thank you very much for reporting this issue to us.

I think you will find this has been reported previously.

• 2 weeks later...

What wil

On 1/23/2024 at 11:42 AM, Serif Info Bot said:

An issue raised in this thread ("Export area is not remembered between exports") has now been reported to the developers by the testing team (Ref: AF-86). Thank you very much for reporting this issue to us.

What also is not remembered is the file format: exporting for instance to PDF, which we have to set manually and explicitly, on other documents will always set back to PNG. Or is there another way to set a prior selected file format as default??? Thx

9 hours ago, gsax said:

What also is not remembered is the file format: exporting for instance to PDF, which we have to set manually and explicitly, on other documents will always set back to PNG. Or is there another way to set a prior selected file format as default??? Thx

I'm not seeing that... if I select a PDF preset, then Quit the app and relaunch the same PDF preset is now the default export option, it hasn't (for me at least) defaulted back to PNG...

Yes, but not on other documents. 
Creating a new art board, exporting settings has to be set every time. As i export vector stuff only as PDF it would be great that the format settings for export could be saved like standard values. 

3 minutes ago, gsax said:

Yes, but not on other documents. 
Creating a new art board, exporting settings has to be set every time. As i export vector stuff only as PDF it would be great that the format settings for export could be saved like standard values. 

Are you referring to the standard export settings, File > Export or the settings in the Export Persona of Designer? Mac or Windows?

ios. see screenshot. thx. 
(left: manually set to PDF. 
Right: new art board: set to AD-default) 

how to set PDF (or any format selected by user) as default? 

IMG_3282.jpeg

• Staff

It's a tricky one. You're are not missing a setting, the Export persona is missing a panel. On iPad, we don't have the "defaults" panel which is what you would need to achieve what you want. Without it, it simply defaults to PNG. I'll log an improvement so that it at least remembers the preset for that document

12 hours ago, Gabe said:

It's a tricky one. You're are not missing a setting, the Export persona is missing a panel. On iPad, we don't have the "defaults" panel which is what you would need to achieve what you want. Without it, it simply defaults to PNG. I'll log an improvement so that it at least remembers the preset for that document

And please please please make it remember the Export as… setting as well!