You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add transparency to lighter colors

Hi,

I'm trying to add transparency to a portrait of a person with black hair.
If I just add transparency with a mask it ends up lightening all the colors including the dark greys parts of the hair and makes the hair look thin.
I want to only add transparency to the lighter parts of the hair so when I put the image over a dark background I dont get a halo effect but I keep the hair and dark grey parts

The light colors from the background showing through the hair.
Would like to make those parts more transparent so when a dark background is used the light parts do not show, but the dark hair still shows.
Its just the edges I cant seem to get right, too much transparency and the hair some what disappears not enough and there is a light visible halo

image.png.cf94c301550e52fc3b0beba4b8de49b8.png

To get rid of the light colored areas, use a suitable brush of the masking category and paint in black over the mask.

IMG_0970.png

IMG_0969.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The result will be still looking not vey natural. If you change the background from very light to dark. Light spots could be result of

• shine through from background, or
  • reflection from foreground or sides
  • actual hair in lighter color

Each case needs different treatment.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, chrisb123 said:

Can I darken only the light parts?

One simple of various possible ways would be an extra layer with the wanted darker colour and its blend mode set to "Darken". Of course, this does not differentiate between the hair colour that is lightened by a background and the hair that is lightened by the ambient light colour while taking the photo. More complex ways would use masks additionally to affect certain areas only.

hairdarken.thumb.jpg.b9870fd0b58e4b7558f5c04196483556.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1