You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APub files don't open anymore

34 minutes ago, Gianni Becattini said:

In finder I double click a file (or right click/open) and nothing happens.

What kind of file?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

See the thread title!

I saw that but I am just looking for confirmation from the OP that the files actually have the .afpub extension.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Sorry for having not been clear. It is an afpub file, part of a book, that I have been using normally until shortly before, than it no longer opens (I tried also CMD/O with the same effect). I tried either from inside the book, either from finder.

I get no error message; simply nothing happens. The workaround is to copy it, to remove the old file, and rename the copy.

I supposed that some hidden file could be present in the folder, but it isn't. I tried also to move the file in another folder, with no effect.

I am using the latest version of APab, with updated version of Sonoma, on a MacBookPro M2 with 16G RAM.

Thanks

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9

Yes, something changes: it appears the following question. Note that:

• the original name of the file was "V2_CH2_500-Series.afpub"
  • when it no longer opened I made a copy of it (which works) named "V2_CH2_500-Series copia.afpub" and renamed the original file (that which doesn't open) in "V2_CH2_500-Series non si apre.afpub" ("non si apre" = "does not open" in Italian)
  • currently, there is not a file named "V2_CH2_500-Series.afpub", so Apub stored this name somewhere else
  • no hidden file is present in the folder

Tnx

Screenshot 2023-12-18 alle 17.26.47.png

I don't know why, but the problem is happening more often. It is not terrible, because I can duplicate the locked file, but it is a little annoying.

I am not sure the problem is new, but certainly, in my case, it seems more frequent since the latest Apub update.

I discovered something new. If I move the file to a non-iCloud folder and then move it back in its original folder, the problem disappears.

But there is an extra problem. After that (of file copy), cross-references are lost and must be re-created.

Very *****....

4 hours ago, Lee_T said:

Which Application is showing you this dialogue? (this should be visible if you click that window and look at the top left corner of your screen).

4 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Affinity Publisher when I do File/Open as you suggested

It might be triggered, created and displayed by macOS and iCloud as a message window without a corresponding foreground app. Compare this discussions for "Modifications aren't in sync. Choose which versions to keep.":

2021 Aug: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253021530?

2023 Nov, Sonoma 14.0: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255257623?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It might be triggered, created and displayed by macOS and iCloud as a message window without a corresponding foreground app.

IOW, it isn't a message from Affinity Publisher, right?

Affinity Photo 

I understand and agree. iCloud is very often the culprit, maybe also in this case. Clearly files are identified with a reference independent from the name. Probably references are not related to this, I will open another thread.

It convinces me... thanks, friends.