You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher/Photo unwanted extending of picture dimensions

When layouting a document with a fixed size picture in Publisher and I open the picture in Photo for retouching the dimensions of the picture get resized when I use the inpainting brush on the edge of the picture. I do understand that inpainting may add additional pixels to a canvas at the edge but this should not automatically lead to changed dimensions of the original picture. After returning to publisher the picture with the new dimensions is fitted into the old frame (so it gets distorted) and a border is added. Of course I can avoid this by selecting the picture before retouching. Disadvantage: The impainting brush adds "white pixel" from outside the frame for the inpainting content :-(. This does not feel very intuitive. It would be better if just original dimensions will be send back to publisher - unless you deliberately change the canvas size in Photo.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

I open the picture in Photo for retouching the dimensions of the picture get resized when I use the inpainting brush on the edge of the picture

That sounds like a logical consequence of the action you're describing.
Do you have an example?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

48 minutes ago, loukash said:

Inpainting on the edge of a picture causing the canvas to resize sounds like a logical consequence? Being send back to publisher with the wrong aspect ratio? I guess you lost me ...
If I want to change the canvas there's a command (Document>Resize Canvas) for it.

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

Just now, DarkClown said:

I guess you lost me ...

Hence my request for an example.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

I do understand that inpainting may add additional pixels to a canvas at the edge but this should not automatically lead to changed dimensions of the original picture.

I can't achieve an increasing canvas with the Inpainting Brush in V1 – neither with Background layer locked or unlocked nor with a new pixel layer. Instead my inpainting always shows a clear straight edge in the layer's thumbnail.

I can't even achieve to inpaint on any fully transparent area if I increase the canvas or downscale the image/pixel layer before inpainting.

56 minutes ago, loukash said:

a logical consequence

How / why that? Are you able to inpaint on a transparent area?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Are you able to inpaint on a transparent area?

I wasn't replying to that part of the post, see quote.

14 minutes ago, loukash said:

Hence my request for an example.

Before and after Inpainting on the edge - and adapting the new file dimensions to the previously used guides.

Publisher_1GV0IHMsIf.png.fccbf468252dabae3799d3d5654c6eef.png

Publisher_k7MI4mU2X9.png.3640f15afc6932516d1a7e0f3a61b0cf.png

There are some parts of your workflow that I don’t understand, specifically:

• “and I open the picture in Photo for retouching” – How do you “open” it?
  • “dimensions of the picture get resized when I use the inpainting brush on the edge of the picture” - This doesn’t happen for me, can we see it happening?
  • “after returning to publisher” – How are you “returning”?

Basically, if you have both Publisher and Photo, why are not using the Photo Persona to do the retouching directly from Publisher, or are you, I can’t tell?

Once we have a better idea of what you want to do then we can probably advise better on how to do it.

@DarkClown, this still doesn't help much.
Please either post a step by step description how to reproduce the issue, or a screencast fully showing the former, and preferably also example documents that demonstrate it.

23 minutes ago, loukash said:
32 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Are you able to inpaint on a transparent area?

I wasn't replying to that part of the post, see quote.

What part else?

1 hour ago, loukash said:
3 hours ago, DarkClown said:

I open the picture in Photo for retouching the dimensions of the picture get resized when I use the inpainting brush on the edge of the picture

I understand the description "use the inpainting brush on the edge of the picture" in combination with "the dimensions of the picture get resized" as inpainting on a transparent area.

Apart form that, @DarkClown, your screenshot oddly shows a quite large area as being added below the image edge, which makes me wonder whether you indeed inpainted in that area height below the image (if yes, what for?)

From your screenshot it is not clear what you got. It also could show a moved image within a picture frame for instance.
Can you show the procedure in APhoto with background transparency enabled?

3 hours ago, DarkClown said:

The impainting brush adds "white pixel" from outside the frame for the inpainting content :-(.

What "frame" are you talking about / in what app? – Do the "white pixel" appear while you are using the inpainting brush?

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:
  • “and I open the picture in Photo for retouching” – How do you “open” it?
  • “dimensions of the picture get resized when I use the inpainting brush on the edge of the picture” - This doesn’t happen for me, can we see it happening?
  • “after returning to publisher” – How are you “returning”?

Sorry for being a little unspecific.

It happens regardles if I use "Edit in Photo" or "switch to the "Photo Persona"

7 minutes ago, Return said:

I don't think this should be possible

I think it should be possible, but only optionally. There should be a "Preserve Opaque" checkbox or something.

4 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Sorry for being a little unspecific.

Alright, the screencast now explains a lot. :) 
As far as I can tell from what I see, how your document structure appears, the layer hierarchy and everything, I still stand by my "
logical consequence of the action you're describing".
Affinity only does what you're telling it to do.

The major clue here at 00:14: 

Assistant
The assistant rasterised the layer you previously had selected, because it was not a raster layer.

1 minute ago, loukash said:

Assistant
The assistant rasterised the layer you previously had selected, because it was not a raster layer.

So rasterising a layer leads to a canvas resize???  Now you lost me even more ;-)

3 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

So rasterising a layer leads to a canvas resize???

By destructively rasterizing a placed image, you are extending its "private canvas" "infinitely". The rasterized pixel layer will be as large as there are any pixel with opacity value >0.
That's how it's supposed to work.

2 minutes ago, Return said:

IMO it should be restricted to the boundaries of that specific pixellayer when inpainting on that specific pixellayer.

Not at all. This is no more a placed layer. It's a pixel layer that is now integral part of the document. Its "natural" canvas is now at least as large as the current layout canvas dimensions.

If you want to keep the dimensions of a placed image intact, you must not edit it destructively within a layout. Place it as linked (if it's embeded), and edit the original.

Also, you may want to place the image – regardless whether linked, embedded or already rasterized – into a Picture Frame. Picture Frames are a Good Thing™ in a workflow like the layout you're working on.

4 minutes ago, loukash said:

By destructively rasterizing a placed image, you are extending its "private canvas" "infinitely". The rasterized pixel layer will be as large as there are any pixel with opacity value >0.

How come there are non-transarent elements, outside the image dimensions? Even if it's supposed to work like that I don't see any reason to extend the canvas (unless the rasterisation includes other elements with aditional canvas). But that should be reflected by the object size already before the destructive rasterisation. Despite this I don't actually see any reason to rasterize the object at all - considering I might want to keep the structure of the object. I just edited the picture - why would you merge the adjustment layers to it now? There's no reason to destroy the object.

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

Also, you may want to place the image – regardless whether linked, embedded or already rasterized – into a Picture Frame. Picture Frames are a Good Thing™ in a workflow like the layout you're working on.

Interesting point. What are the advantages of doing so? (in comparison to my workflow)