You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

applying master in publisher suddenly not working anymore

On 12/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, R C-R said:

I seem to be locked out of replying to this topic with more info. I get either a too much time has elapsed to edit error or a 'Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time' one.

test see if i can

42 minutes ago, diederiks said:

test see if i can

I can reply but I cannot post the comment I wanted to, which involved different path names for where things are stored on my Mac. Every time I try to post that comment (which was still remembered when I tried to start a new reply) I got a 403 'server not responding' or similar error. 

I could try just posting parts of that reply but it probably isn't important enough to justify the effort.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I can reply but I cannot post the comment I wanted to, which involved different path names for where things are stored on my Mac. Every time I try to post that comment (which was still remembered when I tried to start a new reply) I got a 403 'server not responding' or similar error. 

It's likely a security check, probably to prevent SQL code injection.

Type your text. Screenshot it. Post the screenshot as an attachment to your post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Post the screenshot as an attachment to your post.

OK, here it is as a screenshot of an unsaved TextEdit doc version:

reply.jpg.ae356aab7462ddcf817dc85315788041.jpg

I have no idea what code injection or other possible security threat could be for this, but the 403 error message is, if not completely erroneous, at least misleading.

BTW, it was supposed to be reply to this comment by @thomaso, which seems to have similar content to what I was trying to say.

Weird.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@walt.farrell @R C-R People, I just did a google search on where to find uninstalling info. I found only only one folder in my hidden libary folder named affinity that I deleted together with the app. Then hopefully a clean reinstall. still same problem. even in safe mode.

But on more thinking:

Basically the problem is the "dropdown list". The dropdown where you can select a masters. That one is not responsive. In all 3 places where this list appears it doens't work: At creating a new page, At applying master to page and at Apply master to pages..

But when ON the right master, you can select the option "apply master to pages.." Although as said the selection in the dropdown list here aswell is not changeable, it has the right master selected and you can apply that to a pagenumber. So the process of applying a master is not the problem.

I Just tested a bit more arround in affinity. None of the other dropdown lists seem to have this problem. The only dropdown list that i can see so far is the one for selecting masters. That really makes me think it has not so much to do with any or corrupt file outside the app. It's just the code of this specific dropdownlist (element) that is not receptive. 

maybe as a result of my latest update of my os. 14.1.2. Does any of you work with 14.1.2 yet? 

what do you think?

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

which seems to have similar content to what I was trying to say.

I think the leading / in your path name (which Thomas didn't have) may explain your failure, but that's purely a guess.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 minutes ago, diederiks said:

I found only only one folder in my hidden libary folder named affinity that I deleted together with the app.

The folders @thomaso & I mentioned are not in the normally hidden user Library folder but somewhere in /private/var/folders/. So to find them, in Finder try using Go > Go to Folder & entering /private/var/folders/ & then search in the folders that shows. For me they are in a subfolder of the 20 folder but for you they may be elsewhere.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, diederiks said:

Does any of you work with 14.1.2 yet? 

I do, as you can see in my signature if you use a desktop browser and have them enabled for display. And that dropdown works for me.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think the leading / in your path name (which Thomas didn't have) may explain your failure, but that's purely a guess.

FWIW, I tried removing the first forward slash before "private" & still got the same 403 error. Like I said I do not think it is worth wasting any more time with this. The jpg should be readable enough & even if not I have my doubts that anything in the path is the cause of the OP's problem.

Affinity Photo 

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I tried removing the first forward slash before "private" & still got the same 403 error. Like I said I do not think it is worth wasting any more time with this. The jpg should be readable enough & even if not I have my doubts that anything in the path is the cause of the OP's problem.

@walt.farrell walt I found the folder you mentioned. I deleted the entire folder com.seriflabs.affinity publisher. then restarted publisher. problem still there. i am wondering indeed as @R C-R  sais if the problem is created there. as its so specific. about versions, The only difference between you and me is then is that i am still on affinity V1 and you are on Affinity V2. which makes me wonder if its just a sneaky way to force people to upgrade. ( I ve noticed microsoft did that with excel, not fixing bugs in forlast versions). Anyway even if so I wouldnt mind to upgrade to solve this but I would like to know in advance if that does solve the problem. I have to say its quite frustrating that I can't contact them directly and that I have to wait for someone to pick up my issue via this forum.

I suppose it could be a V1 issue that doesn't happen in V2. I had forgotten you are still on V1. I only have V2 and thus I can't test V1 on Sonoma 14.1.2.

-- Walt
PC:

@diederiks, I use a Mac but on it I have both the V1 & V2 versions of all the Affinity apps & in neither of them do I see this Master page problem.

Affinity Photo 

On 12/8/2023 at 4:20 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi, this is a known issue with version 1 and macOS Sonoma. There is a workaround, drag the master page thumbnail onto the page thumbnail.

@MikeTO thanks good to know its at least a known bug. 

i had figured out the same thing: starting from the desired master and then applying that to a page you have already created with another master.

But I didnt know you could drag a master directly onto a page to apply it. Cool, thanks.