You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher planning a document

I just upgraded to universal lic, and considering making a complex document which I anticipate to be large in terms of Mb, so I’m interested to know the approach to making such a document. I suspect that images can be both embedded and linked but what criteria are relevant to how to design the document. 

Obviously memory and free space are important considerations, as is the type of export chosen.

How different are these criteria depending on platform PC vs iPad. Do these different platforms have significant different relevant parameters? If so what are they?

Thank you for your consideration.

ok, been watching a vdo entitled “Designing a Photo Book in Affinity Publisher” realized more info need

My goal is to create a digital book ie not for print, that may eliminate many of the design considerations.

My concern is to prevent crashes and loss of effort associated with dealing with large files and failed saves.

3 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Thank you for that Blackstone😊

Just guessing here, maybe use links on all images while designing and embed images when complete.

Is there an easy way to convert a document with links to embedded images?

For a book with a lot of photos, you always link the photos and never embed them. My books have several hundred photos and all of them are linked. The document sizes are then 5-15MB instead of GB.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

19 hours ago, MikeTO said:

For a book with a lot of photos, you always link the photos and never embed them. My books have several hundred photos and all of them are linked. The document sizes are then 5-15MB instead of GB.

Yeah, links should make a much lighter footprint when designing, but not so convenient if you want to share the doc.

1 hour ago, Affinity Rat said:

Yeah, links should make a much lighter footprint when designing, but not so convenient if you want to share the doc.

That's what File > Save as Package is about (as long as you aren't using the Book feature), and it even handles the fonts you're using, in case your colleague doesn't have them (or the right versions) installed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Seems to me that the introductory material for Publisher does include a basic tutorial/info regarding approaches to creating a publication depending on desired export type and output parameters. 

Sure if designing a simple brochure, one can muddle through, but large documents require planning and many considerations.

Easy to jump into a document, but planning is an important step in effectively getting the desired output with minimal revisions and time wasted.

10 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Seems to me that the introductory material for Publisher does include a basic tutorial/info regarding approaches to creating a publication depending on desired export type and output parameters. 

Sure if designing a simple brochure, one can muddle through, but large documents require planning and many considerations.

Easy to jump into a document, but planning is an important step in effectively getting the desired output with minimal revisions and time wasted.

The free manual I've shared in the forum includes a chapter on how to structure a longer book. This manual doesn't include a chapter on photos. Perhaps I'll add that someday but you might find it useful nonetheless as you're getting started. The link is in my signature below.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)