You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loading 1 document

Hi!
I have a SVG made with Illustrator and it works great in html files.
But when opening it in Affinity Publisher 2 it just says Loading 1 document and nothing more happens and I have waited for 15 minutes.
The fun thing is that it works just fine in Publisher 1... Is there any logs or something that can tell what is the problem?

I cannot shut down the software either, i need to force it to quit.
Same problem on both Mac as on Windows.

I have attached the file itself. I might be able to work around this and get the ai file it's made from the beginning but I have plenty of SVG so it would be better if I can work directly with the SVG.

What do the wizards here suggest?

M10788F.svg

33 minutes ago, Hietaharju said:

it works just fine in Publisher 1

Apart from the V2 issue: Does it "just fine" in V1 indeed? – Though it opens to me in V1 without any delay it displays quite a few odd texts that seem to be partially 'masked' with a white rectangle and thus hiding also parts of the drawing and some objects appear duplicated – while the Font Manager reports Arial and Tahoma without pointing to a font issue.

svgtextconfusion.thumb.jpg.b1c185fb0dc485e4558c6c10dbfd0c82.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

FWIW, I got the same loading... item & had to force quit AD V2 after waiting ~10 minutes. The file opened in under a second in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, & Opera browsers on my Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, thomaso said:

Apart from the V2 issue: Does it "just fine" in V1 indeed? – Though it opens to me in V1 without any delay it displays quite a few odd texts that seem to be partially 'masked' with a white rectangle and thus hiding also parts of the drawing and some objects appear duplicated – while the Font Manager reports Arial and Tahoma without pointing to a font issue.

svgtextconfusion.thumb.jpg.b1c185fb0dc485e4558c6c10dbfd0c82.jpg

Well yes it looks odd but the masking is necessary for our purpose. This is ending up in a html file where you can dynamically choose what to show.
So without the html it looks really bad... :)
But in fact, we have a problem in version 1 of publisher also, the text is not working as it should so we might need to stay in Illustrator for a while more. I have attached the finished html also. File named illufile is where the svg comes from illustrator. Affinity is where the svg comes from publisher. But in that case I have opened the AI file in Publisher 2 and saved as SVG. But something happens so the html is not working as expected. On every text element you should be able to get a mouse-over but that works just in the illufile...  the files are in swedish, sorry for that :)

affinity.html Illufile.html

If I try to open or place the SVG file you provided in Illustrator CS6, I get an error message related to too deeply nested groups, and the file displays incorrectly but is opened nevertheless, without anything rendered (but objects being there, so viewable and editable in outline mode).

image.png.0163c215deeee5a81dda43f42d3481e4.png

I can open the file, as you mentioned, in Publisher v1, and also in CorelDRAW (2023 tested). If I save it from CorelDRAW, using SVG version 1.1, Publisher 2 can open it, too (but I had only a cursory look on the file so cannot tell if there are errors in rendering). Illustrator CS6 cannot render correctly the Corel-created file, either (but allows viewing and editing in outline mode).

Here is the Corel-created file for examination:

M10788F_from_corel.svg

UPDATE: I subsequently opened your original SVG also in Xara Designer and Inkscape, where they appeared to open correctly (though the former reported of a couple of missing links), but saving as SVG from these two apps did not produce files that could have been opened in Publisher (at all, or rendering all over the place), or Illustrator CS6 (resulting in same error message about Tiny SVG). CorelDRAW 2023 however appeared to open correctly both the Xara and Inkscape created files. 

41 minutes ago, lacerto said:

If I try to open or place the SVG file you provided in Illustrator CS6, I get an error message related to too deeply nested groups, and the file displays incorrectly but is opened nevertheless, without anything rendered (but objects being there, so viewable and editable in outline mode).

image.png.0163c215deeee5a81dda43f42d3481e4.png

I can open the file, as you mentioned, in Publisher v1, and also in CorelDRAW (2023 tested). If I save it from CorelDRAW, using SVG version 1.1, Publisher 2 can open it, too (but I had only a cursory look on the file so cannot tell if there are errors in rendering). Illustrator CS6 cannot render correctly the Corel-created file, either (but allows viewing and editing in outline mode).

Here is the Corel-created file for examination:

M10788F_from_corel.svg 1.84 MB · 1 download

UPDATE: I subsequently opened your original SVG also in Xara Designer and Inkscape, where they appeared to open correctly (though the former reported of a couple of missing links), but saving as SVG from these two apps did not produce files that could have been opened in Publisher (at all, or rendering all over the place), or Illustrator CS6 (resulting in same error message about Tiny SVG). CorelDRAW 2023 however appeared to open correctly both the Xara and Inkscape created files. 

I tried that file from Corel and it did not work at all in the html-output.
For now I have to use Illustrator I guess.

4 hours ago, Hietaharju said:

For now I have to use Illustrator I guess.

Most probably so. Affinity apps especially have limited capability to interpret SVG, and as demonstrated above, there are limitations in older software (like Illustrator CS6) as for complexity of object hierarchy that is supported.  

Btw: did the Corel-created file fail to render at all, or was there mainly just a viewbox / dimension related error: I placed the file in a portrait A4 page and exported the whole page, while the original SVG had pixel dimensions and basically enclosed in a bounding box.

1 hour ago, Hietaharju said:

It didnt render at all, I have attached the output with the corel file.

Thanks. The UI is pretty complex. The Corel version is likely to ignore (at least) part of the element IDs so it probably could not toggle visibility state of object groups even if it were able to display the initial view of the design. If I manually change the opacity of svgcontainer, I can see the drawing rendered for a moment but then it is hidden again.

There might be point in trying to use the Corel-created version as a starting point (since it at least opens in version 2). As far as I know Affinity apps do not support applying object IDs via UI so if you create this from the scratch, you would need to add these kinds of things directly in the code. EDIT: Not true, at least 2. versions will export the object ("layer") names as ids. But they do not add class names, which makes attribute management more cumbersome.