You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Understanding crash files

Good evening to anyone who can help me!

I am really struggling to understand why my pc is continually crashing when using Publisher V2.1.1

It seemed to be happening whenever I used the down arrow key, but all sorts of keystrokes seem to now be triggering a crash. Today I experienced it 4 times in 20 minutes.

I'm not very technical I'm afraid, hence why I am asking for any help that can be given!

Thank you in advance

Does it help to "Save As…" this document with a new name? Does the document contain any linked or embedded resource that maybe a culprit object?

Do this keystroke-crashes happen with a specific document or on certain pages in this file … or even if all documents get closed and a new, empty document gets created and used with just a new 'Rectangle' object for instance?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi Spyderbryin,

Thank you for providing the crash reports. While I am looking into this please could you try navigating to Edit > Preferences and try disabling Open CL just to see if it helps at all? Does the crashing only occur when typing? If so has this always been the case or has it just started happening recently?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...

@Callum

Hi Callum

Sorry to have dragged my feet on responding.

I have tried quite a few times to find an option in Edit > Settings (I couldn't find Preferences) to no avail!

Regarding your second question, I am 95% certain that every crash has been caused by me using the Arrow Keys whilst navigation forwards or backwards through sections of text.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Brian

41 minutes ago, spyderbryin said:

I have tried quite a few times to find an option in Edit > Settings (I couldn't find Preferences) to no avail!

Look under:  Top Menu -> "Affinity Publisher" -> "Preferences" -> "Performance Options"

Performance options

• RAM Usage Limit—allows you to set your preference for optimising app performance for your projects.
  • Disk Usage Warning At—choose the limit at which you are warned about disk usage.
  • Undo Limit—choose the history length you are able to access.
  • View Quality—choose the way in which the image displays during modifications. Select from the pop-up menu.
  • Choose whether to dither gradients, when working on projects, to speed up performance.
  • Choose a clipping option for optimising performance.
  • File Recovery Interval—sets the interval for saving temporary data for currently open documents, allowing a document restore to be offered at startup if the app develops a fault.
  • Display—Choose whether to use hardware acceleration such as Metal, OpenGL or OpenGL (Basic), or use Software acceleration. If your computer experiences performance problems, use the above option order until performance is acceptable. If your Mac has an additional discrete graphics card, checking the Use only integrated GPU will not allow access to it, therefore reducing power consumption and conserving battery life (useful for unplugged MacBook Pros).
  • Retina Rendering—choose your rendering experience. Select from the pop-up menu.
    • Automatic (Best)—renders as non-retina followed by retina for balanced performance and quality.
    • Low quality (Fastest)—renders as non-retina only for highest performance level but compromises on quality.
    • High quality (Slowest)—renders as retina only for high quality but may compromise performance.
  • Hardware Acceleration—checking Enable Metal compute acceleration boosts some tasks' performance if a compatible GPU is available. See the Hardware acceleration topic.

See also ...

... and so on ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 minutes ago, spyderbryin said:

I managed to find the Clear User Data screen, but mine doesn't have the same options as your image.

In order to get that screen did you launched APub by holding the CTRL key down?

Other than that if the app starts usually, use the "Preferences" top menu way for accessing the Preferences -> Performance Option panel ...

• Top Menu -> "Affinity Publisher" -> "Preferences" -> there then under the the point "Performance Options"

... and disable/uncheck the hardware OpenCL acceleration. - Afterwards restart APub.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Or tryout the ...

... or what the Affinity FAQ recomends further ...

2. No OCL Flag Method

Using the --no-ocl flag will disable OpenCL for this and subsequent launches meaning you only have to use --no-ocl once and is not necessary for subsequent launches.

MSIX / MS Store 

To use the flag, press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.

• Affinity Photo: Type in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe --no-ocl and press Enter - the app will now launch.

• Affinity Designer: Type in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe --no-ocl and press Enter - the app will now launch.

• Affinity Publisher: Type in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe --no-ocl and press Enter - the app will now launch.

EXE/MSI

To use the flag, press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.

*Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo 2\" and press Enter. Now type Photo --no-ocl and press Enter - the app will now launch.

*If you installed the app to a different location or you're using Affinity Publisher or Designer, please update the location to point to correct folder.

20 minutes ago, spyderbryin said:

Thank you @v_kyr I managed to find the Clear User Data screen, but mine doesn't have the same options as your image. Hope you can see what I'm doind wrong from the attached? 

2023-06-01 Capture.JPG

This screen shot looks like you use V1 instead of V2.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Sorry - I was using a desktop shortcut (with the Control key pressed down. 

I have now brought up the correct screen and ticked the setting as suggested (screen shot attached) and will see how it goes. (I'll also look through the other post you made next!)

2023-06-01 Capture (2).JPG

@spyderbryin

You are welcome! Let us know If deactivating hardware acceleration helps!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 minutes ago, spyderbryin said:

(I'll also look through the other post you made next!)

If you disabled Hardware Acceleration further alternate disabling methods usually aren't needed. - And if the app still crashes under certain usages, then the issues is related to something else here than hardware acceleration (aka possible bugs etc.). So then one have to inspect the crash reports more carefully, in order to find out (identifying) what concretely causes the app to crash then under certain situations.

31 minutes ago, spyderbryin said:

Can I export a picture frame as an image, so that I can re-use it?

Does your 'final question' mean that disabling hardware acceleration finally solved your issue with misbehaving key strokes / crashing APub?

Ideally you don't mix topics within a thread, especially if they are fully unrelated like in this case. It seems you want to use one of the two Export options for "Area" -> "Selection Area" | "Selection Only". They enable you to export any currently selected element(s) independently of the page layout.

@thomaso

Sorry to be new to this!! I was just excited to get my previous issue solved, so randomly asked another.

Thank you yes, I would say that the crashing problem is solved - but the crashes were a littel sporadic anyway so a little hard to tell if the problem is cured.

I have followed your new instruction, thank you

9 minutes ago, spyderbryin said:

the crashes were a littel sporadic anyway

How abaout "continually crashing" "happening whenever I used the down arrow key" or with "all sorts of keystrokes" ?

If you re-enable hardware acceleration, does the crash occur again when you press the down arrow key?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-06 um 19.06.56.jpg