You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is 50% actual size? (Designer)

bpedit

Working in Designer on iPad (in millimeters), I find that the artwork, as measured on the screen with a ruler, is equal to the dimensions as measured by Designer when the Navigator is set to 50% for the scale of the artwork in the display. That is, if I create a square 50.0 mm on a side, it physically measures as such at 50% enlargement. This has been true since version 1.  I've looked through the Settings but don't see where I might have enabled this behavior in some way. 

I'm curious. I can live with this but, not knowing the source, feel like I must constantly check when creating a new file lest it changes somehow.

What document DPI are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Evidently I'm using 96 dpi, I had to search to find this. I think I set it long ago such that SVG exports were compatible with CNC . 

I just tried resetting the DPI to 192 (96 x 2) and I get the same idiosyncracy.

Edit: Paul's response below reminded me I should have included my device specs, a 3rd gen. 12.9" iPad Pro.

Coming from the 40+ years in the PC world of DOS then Windows I have never ever ever measured anything I have drawn using any CAD package on the screen and expected it to be to scale...........I didn't ever believe that *could* be possible since screen sizes could vary so much.

BUT......now on Mac Mini with my own supplied 27" 2K HP monitor I see that you are correct, items drawn on the desktop version measure correctly when the navigator is set to 100% but on my 11" iPad pro measurements are only correct when the navigator is set to 50%.

You learn something every day.

So over to the devs to decide whether this is a bug or a fluke.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help