You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affiity Photo - Bug fill layer with Edit-Menu Fill and fill with primary color and fill with secondary color

erdi12

When a fill layer is edited using the Fill menu command or the Fill Primary Color command 
or the Fill Secondary Color command, the color is written to the alpha channel as transparency 
and is not used as a color in the fill layer as expected.
This is particularly annoying since a color can only be changed in a Marco using these commands.

Yours Erdi12

This is noI a bug, it is by design.

unfortunately unexpected for most users.

The color of a fill layer can only be changed using the color panel, and only while no pixel brush tool is active.

if you use pixel based tools like brushes or fill tool, they will affect only the inherent mask, but not the fill color.

This has lead to several reports by other users in the past.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

25 minutes ago, erdi12 said:

This is particularly annoying since a color can only be changed in a Marco using these commands.

There are other methods to change colors, and as I explained it is not possible to change color of adjustments layers as only the inherent mask can be filled. Can you elaborate about what the macro is actually trying to achieve?

why trying to change color of fill layer, can you simply add a new one with the new color?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

27 minutes ago, erdi12 said:

I'm not sure I fully understand your requirement, but if you just want a Fill layer to be a particular colour

Whilst still recording the macro, just choose the colour first then add the Fill layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks for your report @erdi12!

22 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

This is noI a bug, it is by design.

unfortunately unexpected for most users.

The color of a fill layer can only be changed using the color panel, and only while no pixel brush tool is active.

if you use pixel based tools like brushes or fill tool, they will affect only the inherent mask, but not the fill color.

As above, this is expected behaviour when using Pixel Based tools on the Fill Layer, however personally I would assume Edit > Fill to work as expected - or be 'Greyed out' from use, such seen when no appropriate selection is active.

Therefore I'm logging this specific behaviour with our development team now to be contemplated further, as I cannot see anything logged previously regarding the Edit > Fill command.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

As above, this is expected behaviour when using Pixel Based tools on the Fill Layer, however personally I would assume Edit > Fill to work as expected - or be 'Greyed out' from use, such seen when no appropriate selection is active.

Dan you got me really surprised 🥹

I filed multiple request to grey out or remove UI elements which cannot work, but they never got any traction:

• remove blend modes and blend ranges for masks
  • remove all unusable settings of … menu for layers on iPad
  • Move mode setting of compounds above all non-working settings
  • remove anti-aliasing / pressure profiles for pixel layers

Dreams would come true 😂

on iPad, the UI is even more confusing.

i will file a separate bug report to keep everything organized