You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stop inserting new items inside of the applied masterpage folder...

Intuos5

Whenever I select something on a masterpage, be it a text frame or a picture frame that resides within the master of the page, new content gets added inside the masterpage folder. This means that if I want to make edits, I have to tediously select the master folder, hit detach, drag the placed object out of the folder and then do the edits.

Video

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a masterpage with some text frames and picture frames (doesn't really matter as long as there are some nested items, it is easier to see how items are placed).
2. Select a piece of text, or a picture frame that resides within the masterpage
3. Deselect or click off the spread
4. Create a new object (e.g. a rectangle)
5. Notice how the rectangle is not created on top of the masterpage group as it would if you hadn't selected something on the masterpage, but instead inside the masterpage folder.

This makes it so that you have to detach the masterpage to continue editing the object or to organise it in a group, which is really annoying, considering you'll be editing text frames inside masterpages to paste or type text and add all sorts of decoration, images and other content to the page in parallel.

I think these are somewhat different issues.

This report is about accidentally creating a new object on the master page layer. If you are viewing a document page and select a master page object and then draw a new object, it will be created on the master page. IMO you should never be able to draw on a master page layer while viewing a document page unless you choose Edit Detached or Linked. The user wouldn't even be aware that they're doing it if they don't have the Layers panel open or aren't looking at it. I do this everyday and have to choose Undo to fix it.

The other report is about deliberately moving an object from a document page to a master page layer using the Layers panel. That is less dangerous than the above since it's far less likely to be done by accident. But it is a bit odd because once you've done it you can't drag the layer back out unless you edit detached or linked. Perhaps there should be a warning when dragging a layer onto the master layer when you aren't editing detached or linked, but it does appear to be a deliberate design choice and it's convenient for those who want the feature.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 10/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, MikeTO said:

The other report is about deliberately moving an object from a document page to a master page layer using the Layers panel.

But the issue is the same that objects can be part of a master stack while they shouldn't.
Only when using edit detached or edit linked it should be possible to add items to the master stack.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:11 AM, Return said:

I think the items should never be added to the masterpage stack.

8 minutes ago, Return said:

But the issue is the same that objects can be part of a master stack while they shouldn't.
Only when using edit detached or edit linked it should be possible to add items to the master stack.

I mean if you move an object into a master folder, than that's quite a deliberate thing. The workflow to do this doesn't necessarily have to be more tedious by having to detach first. Unless, you could detach a masterpage with other tools than the Move tool active, I am against.

In my example file, you can also see that floating or pinned images (in my case the intermezzos) also move to the master stack. They become part of the body text layer there, so the workflow is already not clearcut.