You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text disappear when adding pages

- starting with a 312 page document, just text flowing in two columns

- use "document -> add pages" to add two empty pages (no master page) at the beginning of the document

Result:

- the two empty pages are added

- text disappears from all other pages (master page is still assigned)

Expected result:

- for the text to stay in the document

System:

macOS Sonoma (14.0)

Affinity Publisher 2.2.1

Hi @Jens Krebs,

I've just tried this on Monterey with a 125 Page document and it worked as expected so I'm unsure why this isn't working with your file unless there is a Sonoma related problem here.

Are you happy to upload your Publisher file so we can take a look at possible causes? If you'd prefer not to upload it to the public forum someone from the moderation team will be able to provide a private Dropbox link for you to upload your file so the Serif team can take a look.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hangman said:

it worked as expected so I'm unsure why this isn't working with your file unless there is a Sonoma related problem here.

Doesn't appear to be Sonoma related, as i've also just been able to do this to a 200 page file and it worked as expected.

@Jens KrebsI'm also not sure why this isn't working for you, so the file would be helpful.  If you'd rather not attach the afpub file to the Forums, i've created you a Dropbox link here to upload the file to :) 

• Staff

Hi @Jens Krebs,

Thanks for the file.

I thought i'd seen something like this before and on searching the Forums a bit more, i've found this thread and more importantly this reply, which does apply to your file as well.  So, If you view Page 1 and in the Layers Panel, right click on the Master Page layer and select Edit Detached and then add your 2 pages, all the other text will remain :) 

Hi @stokerg,

Surely this shouldn't happen when inserting two new pages before the first page as the original first page remains as a right-hand facing page. I think the workaround in the thread you linked to refers to inserting a single new page thereby swapping the associated master page order for respective pages (though I've not read the thread in detail).

Does this suggest that changing the document from facing to non-facing pages prior to inserting new pages and then reverting back to facing pages would also work?

I'm aware this has been discussed at length in another thread where this causes major issues but inserting new pages in InDesign simply works without any of the associated problems seen in Publisher regardless of whether inserting an even or odd number of pages.

Do you anticipate that this is an area that is likely to see improvements further down the line bearing in mind that page insertion is a regular and often necessary occurrence within a document... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

I have inserted pages in all kinds of places before, and this is the first time this happened. Must have something to do with the 2.2 update or macOS Sonoma and / or a combination of both.

The last project where I inserted pages was done with version 2.1 on macOS Monterey and it worked as expected.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Surely this shouldn't happen when inserting two new pages before the first page as the original first page remains as a right-hand facing page. I think the workaround in the thread you linked to refers to inserting a single new page thereby swapping the associated master page order for respective pages (though I've not read the thread in detail).

The workaround still applies in this case.  As would switching the document from facing pages to single pages, something i hadn't thought to try until you mentioned it :) 

But i couldn't find anything about this already logged when i searched Jira (i was using the wrong search terms, so thats on me) and checking this issue with QA they have pointed me to 2 issues that are logged and i'll be updating both of those in the next few minutes :) 

Thanks, I'll try the workaround, it ist going to be really cumbersome and super messy though: The document has currently 313 pages (yeah, I know, lucky number).

I need to add about 45-50 empty pages (without masters applied) in different places and afterwards add special content on these pages. Then we're looking at roughly 150 pinned pictures inside the text (keeping the text flow intact obviously) and lastly applying different master pages to different sections / chapters.

It worked fine in version 2.0 and 2.1. I am actually doing this very project every six months and never had any issues since I switched from InDesign to Publisher.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

The last project where I inserted pages was done with version 2.1 on macOS Monterey and it worked as expected.

I think we posted at the same time, so you might of missed my last reply.

There certainly is a bug at play here which also affected 2.1, so i think you must of got lucky in the previous times it worked or perhaps the setup wasn't exactly the same in those files or the pages were inserted in a different location in the file.  But its certainly a bug and hopefully will be fixed shortly :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Adding a spread prior to Page 1 in a document is causing all text to disappear" (REF: AF-458) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2139".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.