You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rounded corners appear as squared corners

I am using the latest version of Affinity Designer (2.2.0) on my Windows 10 desktop PC.

Nodes changed with the Corner Tool display weird behavior when the distance between the nodes is 0.12 pt or smaller. This strangely only occurs in nodes that are on the right side of an object. I am able to consistently reproduce the artifact with new objects and in new documents.

To demonstrate the issue I have created 4 squares of 2x2 pt with the Rectangle Tool. For each square I changed a different corner to rounded with a corner radius of 1 pt:

image.png.e773a822a63ce55a25d2fac5929239fc.png

File: Corner Tool Artifact.afdesign

I then reduced the width of each object to 0.119 pt. For the blue and red objects, the corners remain rounded but simply reduce in size, as expected. For the yellow and green objects, the corners become squared when the distance between the node manipulated with the Corner Tool, and another node becomes less than 0.12 pt (which translates to 0.5 pixels). Note that the corner type is not set to None by AD, it remains Rounded, but does not appear as such in the document.

image.png.48b882c41ac508e48e12dd86b2058fb9.png

To further show that it only occurs on nodes on the right of the object I horizontally flipped each object individually. As you can see the objects that had their rounded corners on the right now have them on the left and vice versa, but the rounded corners on the right side of the objects appear as squared corners:

image.png.b7dc6c68eeb14f2bd1090f0371f7b8cc.png

Things that I have tried that result in the same artifact of rounded corners appearing as a squared corners:

• Disabling hardware acceleration.
  • Recreate the object in the same document and in a new document.
  • Horizontally or vertically flipping the object.
  • Rotating the object 180 degrees. If an object has rounded corners on the left side and is rotated 180 degrees, the rounded corners are now the right side. The corners still appear rounded after rotating, but the artifact reoccurs after resizing the object or dragging any node in the object. Likely other manipulations will also make the artifact reoccur, but I haven't tried. Undoing any actions will not make the corners round again (when the rounded corners are still on the right side of the object). Rotating the object 180 degrees and leaving it as is, is not a workaround. After saving and reopening the document the artifact reoccurs.
  • Increasing and decreasing the corner radius.

Good catch.

I do however have to wonder if fixing a bug that affects objects which are effectively invisible actually needs fixing. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Good catch.

I do however have to wonder if fixing a bug that affects objects which are effectively invisible actually needs fixing. 

I came across this artifact while making a map (as in cartography). The added benefit of making it very detailed is that I can decide later which portion I want to turn into a wallpaper for my desktop, whether that'll be a city or a single street.

Perhaps for most people this artifact wouldn't be much of an issue, but for me this artifact is very visible.

34 minutes ago, CreativeTim said:

I came across this artifact while making a map (as in cartography). The added benefit of making it very detailed is that I can decide later which portion I want to turn into a wallpaper for my desktop, whether that'll be a city or a single street.

Perhaps for most people this artifact wouldn't be much of an issue, but for me this artifact is very visible.

That's interesting. Could you perhaps share a document, or at least a screenshot, so we can see what you're seeing in a real document and the effect it has?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 11:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

That's interesting. Could you perhaps share a document, or at least a screenshot, so we can see what you're seeing in a real document and the effect it has?

Apologies for my late reply, I was preoccupied with school the past couple of weeks.

I just started with this project, so there's not much to show unfortunately. I am also still figuring out how detailed I want my map to be. The main reason for the artifact that I mentioned becoming an issue is that I intend to have the large area map and local detailed sections in the same artboard, so that I can easily switch between the two.

I want my large area map to look somewhat similar to what you can find on Google Maps for example. And the detailed local sections I want to make look more like aerial photography, where for example road markings are also visible (though I'm not an artist so it will look more like an urban design plan). One of the uses for the detailed map is to see whether the proportions look right (i.e. if the sizes of buildings make sense). Considering I use a scale of 1 km = 100 pt (1 m = 0.1 pt) and the aforementioned artifact occurs when two nodes are less than 0.12 pt apart, a road median with rounded corners of anything less than 2.4 m in width would therefore not work.

Perhaps AD is not the right tool for my project, but nothing offers quite the same level of creative freedom as that of a vector graphics editor like AD. At least not that I know of.

• 1 month later...

I found this error in Macbook pro as well.

When I try to create rounded rectangles, it creates normal rectangle.

I have to go to click on the "presets" gear and select rounded rectangle 

As shown in below screenshot, I had the rounded rectangle selected in the left hand tool bar and tried to use it.

image.png.ead6509ba889e16996a6da12450e4452.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, disco_mx said:

I found this error in Macbook pro as well.

When I try to create rounded rectangles, it creates normal rectangle.

What "this" "as well" do you mean? The OP appears to refer to an issue that appears when scaling an object, not with object creation.

What corner radius do you get displayed the Context Toolbar if you select the Rounded Rectangle Tool but with no layer/object selected?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Rounded rectangle and standard rectangle share corner settings" (REF: AF-1628) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.