You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Web-safe colours swatches empty (and unable to restore)

25 minutes ago, P.V said:

My websafe colors swatches has disappeared and I am unable to restore it.

Is it only that one that is missing its content, or are the other palettes affected, too?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @P.V and welcome to the forums,

I would suggest a factory reset holding the Ctrl key while launching Designer until you see the Clear User Data dialog, selecting all options in both lists and then clicking Clear but I'm not entirely convinced that will resolve the issue.

The Web Safe Color palette is a system palette and is non-deletable from within Affinity apps so it's not as though you could inadvertently delete it... Do you see the Web Safe colour Palette in Apple Pages...

WebSafeColors.png.4dddc708d3ed48a238743421bbc08782.png

It sounds more like an Access Control Entry issue on your Mac but hopefully, someone with better knowledge can provide some more helpful input...

Alternatively, we could upload the Web Safe Colors.clr file and you can see whether or not you can re-import it...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Apple palette (web safe) was fine. But I think I found the problem, but noticing only in V2 - the palette is using the norwegian language name ("Nettsikre farger") and shows correctly there! (the english menu is what is empty!)

websafe-swatches-nb.png

6 minutes ago, P.V said:

the palette is using the norwegian language name ("Nettsikre farger") and shows correctly there! (the english menu is what is empty!)

How did you get a palette with a Norwegian name originally? And where did the Web Safe one come from, if you didn't create it? (Or is that an Apple-created System Palette?)

If you gave it a Norwegian name intentionally, then I would not expect you could find it using an English name. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

How did you get a palette with a Norwegian name originally? And where did the Web Safe one come from, if you didn't create it? (Or is that an Apple-created System Palette?)

It's an Apple-created system palette...

I was going to ask what Region and Language you have your Mac set to but if that is the only palette showing under a Norwegian name I'm slightly baffled...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

I did not create any palettes and have not changed the system settings. In V1 I would get only one panel and it was shown as Web safe colours options in the swatches panel. I recently upgraded to V2 and that is the only change. I was not even looking for "Nettsikre farger" in the first place.

At present both options exist in the dropdown with the original Web safe colors option empty. (both screenshots i attached are from the swatches panel in V2)

2 minutes ago, P.V said:

I did not create any palettes and have not changed the system settings. In V1 I would get only one panel and it was shown as Web safe colours options in the swatches panel. I recently upgraded to V2 and that is the only change. I was not even looking for "Nettsikre farger" in the first place.

At present both options exist in the dropdown with the original Web safe colors option empty. (both screenshots i attached are from the swatches panel in V2)

Thanks.

I think that makes @Hangman's suggested question about your Mac System settings relevant, what Region and Language you have your Mac set to?

-- Walt
PC:

@P.V, it probably won't help but out of curiosity, if you open /Library/ColorSync/Profiles in Finder on your Mac, do you have an item named "WebSafeColors.icc" there? If so what is the file size & date info for it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hei!

No such files in the ColorPicker folder ..

I notice that when I do a reset of Affinity (Ctrl + start) there are two entries one for norwegian ("Nettsikker farger": the swatches palette) and one english ("Web safe colors": swatches palette empty). If I restart Designer, I see both have the same name Web safe colours and both are empty!

(Never had such problems with V1)

cpf.png

So, is 'nettsikre farger' therefore not the expected 'Web Safe Color' palette name if 'Norsk bokmål' is the default language?

11 minutes ago, P.V said:

No such files in the ColorPicker folder ..

I don't have any files in that folder either, so I don't think that is an issue. But what do you have in the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder? One easy way to check that is to use Finder's Go > Go to Folder item, enter /Library/ColorSync/Profiles there, & hit the Go button. There should be a WebSafeColors.icc file there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is correct if it appears under "Nettsikre farger". But it is not consistent. Sometimes I find 2 "Web safe colors" (english) listed in the swatches palette and they both are empty.

I listed the ColorPickers folder by mistake. Attaching the contents of the ColorSync profiles folder here.. The icc file is from Sep 16.

cp-m.png

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

if you open /Library/ColorSync/Profiles in Finder on your Mac, do you have an item named "WebSafeColors.icc" there? If so what is the file size & date info for it?

For me yes... /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc and Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 09:35, 12 KB.

3 minutes ago, Hangman said:

For me yes... /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc and Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 09:35, 12 KB.

Mine is much older, probably because I'm running Catalina, but it also is 12KB on disk (11,504 bytes used). Double-clicking on it should open it in ColorSync Utility & the 'desc' tag should show its Localized description strings. It would be interesting to know if it shows anything other than Web Safe Colors for @P.V, & also if ColorSync's Profile First Aid Verify shows any problems with it.

maybe also use the Profiles tab in ColorSync Utility with it set to Group by Location to see what it shows for User profiles & so on.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 months later...

Was a solution found for this problem? My Affinity Photo has lost web safe colours.

Was working fine earlier today but suddenly the swatches are gone. I now appear to have *two* web safe colours in my swatches drop-down, but neither contains any colours.

I tried Control+reset to no avail. Except that I've now lost my own Studio preset too. <sigh>

Anyone else encountered and solved this issue?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 18.03.12.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 18.08.25.png

19 minutes ago, colindun said:

My Affinity Photo has lost web safe colours.

What icc profiles are shown in  /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ on your Mac?

If you open ColorSync Utility & use the Profile tab to show the installed profiles, do you see an entry for "Web Safe Colors" in it (probably in the RGB group)? If you run Profile First Aid's Verify option, does it show any problems?

Also, if you have Designer and/or Publisher installed, do either of them have the same problem?

Affinity Photo 

@colindun It still behaves very inconsistently for me. Sometimes it works, and stops working suddenly (i.e., back to empty swatches for Web-safe colours/Nettsikre farger).

I am just living with it, using the RGB sliders instead - even though it is a bit painful.

20 hours ago, R C-R said:

What icc profiles are shown in  /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ on your Mac?

If you open ColorSync Utility & use the Profile tab to show the installed profiles, do you see an entry for "Web Safe Colors" in it (probably in the RGB group)? If you run Profile First Aid's Verify option, does it show any problems?

Also, if you have Designer and/or Publisher installed, do either of them have the same problem?

Thanks. Here's what ColorSync shows. Web Safe colours under Computer. Don't know what this means, though.

In Affinity Photo can I safely delete the empty Web Safe swatch then import it agin from somewhere?

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 15.03.17.png

15 hours ago, P.V said:

@colindun It still behaves very inconsistently for me. Sometimes it works, and stops working suddenly (i.e., back to empty swatches for Web-safe colours/Nettsikre farger).

I am just living with it, using the RGB sliders instead - even though it is a bit painful.

Indeed. I've used the web safe palette since 1995, and though it's limited I have got used to using it and I like it. I'm lost without it and relying on the other swatches is just a pain ;0(

Hi @colindun,

Does the 'Web Safe Colours' palette appear with all swatches in Apple Pages...

19 minutes ago, colindun said:

In Affinity Photo can I safely delete the empty Web Safe swatch then import it agin from somewhere?

No, because it's a system palette so subsequently can't be deleted...

Can you confirm the actual file path to the 'WebSafeColors.icc' file on your Mac...

Is it:

Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc

Rather than...

Macintosh HD/Users/Username/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Can you confirm the actual file path to the 'WebSafeColors.icc' file on your Mac...

Is it:

Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc

From the ColorSync Utility Profiles tab, there is indeed a WebSafeColors.icc file at that path, but I wonder if somehow there is a second one somewhere as well, although it seems weird that there are two of them showing as System profiles in the AP Swatches panel & that apparently neither of them shows as having any colors in them.

@colindun, please run Profile First Aid's Verify option & see if it detects any problems.

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

From the ColorSync Utility Profiles tab, there is indeed a WebSafeColors.icc file at that path, but I wonder if somehow there is a second one somewhere as well, although it seems weird that there are two of them showing as System profiles in the AP Swatches panel & that apparently neither of them shows as having any colors in them.

In theory, WebSafeColors.icc should still be located at Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc but I just wanted to check owing to an earlier version of macOS changing or adding certain additional Library file locations...

On my setup, I have a ColorSync Profiles folder in both locations and both are picked up in Affinity apps...

It's certainly odd that there are two instances of the Web Safe Colour palette shown in the Affinity apps, though that was my logic for the question, just in case WebSafeColors.icc happens to exist in both...

If not and it is only located at Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc and the swatches appear correctly in Apple iWork apps then it would seem to point to a possible issue in the Affinity apps though I really can't be sure if that is the case...

40 minutes ago, Hangman said:

In theory, WebSafeColors.icc should still be located at Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/WebSafeColors.icc but I just wanted to check owing to an earlier version of macOS changing or adding certain additional Library file locations...

But if we are to believe ColorSync Utility, not only is that profile located there, it also is not empty, showing 12 KB (11,504 bytes) of data, same as what it shows for me on my Mac. In fact all the data shown in the Profile Information pane is the same for me except that the creation date time is shown in my local time zone, including version number, Path, Class, & so on.

I suspect that if @colindun clicks the Open button in the Profile Information pane, it will show the same data that I (& probably you) get, like below.

websafeinfo.jpg.5c0394b40ec067a447bc5700bfc07ba3.jpg

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

If {...} the swatches appear correctly in Apple iWork apps...

Indeed, if they appear in any of the other apps that support the Mac Color Picker (Preview, Pages, Numbers, Mail.app, any of the other Affinity apps, among many others) then this would point to some issue with AD (or any of the other Affinity apps if installed) but that seems unlikely.

@colindun, if in AD you select Apple Color Picker... from the Windows menu & click on the Color Palettes button, does the popup menu show a Web Safe Colors item, & if so, is it also empty?

Affinity Photo