You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add symmetry vector based tools.

• 1 month later...

I also would appreciate this. Inkscape has a mirroring tool that allows you to define an axis of symmetry for a given curve, which you can then configure/edit. It's one of the things I do there and then bring into Affinity later so that I can make things work. I appreciate that some users work around it with symbols so that they can stay in Affinity, but the workaround isn't really a solution.

• 3 months later...

I would also like to add my request for this feature - specifically, for symmetry to work with curves in Designer persona.

Reason: I create flower designs, where petal shapes need to be organised into a circle. Symmetry of curves would make it so much faster to draw a petal of the right size and shape, based on the number of petals needed to create the circle, getting them to touch at exactly the right points.

At the moment, I am setting the symmetry lines in Pixel persona, taking a screenshot, and pasting it into a new layer so I can line the petals up correctly in Designer persona.  I then need to duplicate and rotate the petals to form the flower design. This process could be made so much better.

I only need to work on a single petal - the others could be "ghosts" that display in the symmetry pattern but can't be edited.

Many thanks

8 minutes ago, Dave_I4W said:

I only need to work on a single petal - the others could be "ghosts" that display in the symmetry pattern

Why don't use Symbols?
https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-use-symbols-in-affinity-designer/

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Welcome to the forums @Dave_I4W

In addition to the advice above, if you just want simple petal/flower shapes, then you might like to use, or at least start the design off with, the various Shape Tools.

My attached image shows some examples of what you can achieve with the different tools – see the layer name for the name of the tool used to create each shape.

image.thumb.png.9f6c2c45d084905f108467b344d5f71d.png

48 minutes ago, GarryP said:

if you just want simple petal/flower shapes

1 hour ago, Dave_I4W said:

getting them to touch at exactly the right points

If your shapes are more complex, you can use these simple shapes (after Convert to Curve and with the appropriate Snapping settings) to create an outline for the exact placement of your shapes/symbols.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 10/11/2023 at 5:37 PM, MxHeppa said:

automatic tool is easier becouse is easier see end result when you work. when you do simple symmetry style things symbols and such work little acceptable way but when you do something complex not so.

Symbols do not perform well in complex illustrations, so symmetry and pattern features are most desired, especially because if one is working professionally or systematically with complex illustrations, then an interface with features for precisely this type of work is required. Let's not be intimidated here, when people complain about bloat, because there are a few of us with clients, deadlines, and the ever-ticking clock who need these features.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.