You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm looking for an adobe alternative so I've been learning affinity on the trial version.

In Photoshop or Illustrator it was pretty easy to recolor an imported image.

For example, I have a small icon with a transparent background in PNG, I would import it in the program and as soon as I select a color, the image gets recolored.

This doesn't work in Affinity Designer Pixel Persona or Designer Persona.

I import an image, I select a color with the image selected and nothing happens.

So what is the quickest way for me to simply recolor an icon like this? I can't find anything online.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: added an image as an example of what I mean.

25694.png

Edited by nosey_gamedev

Hi,

I appreciate your quick response!

Is there any alternative way?

I need the FX gradient overlay on top of the colored image, but that color applies AFTER the gradient replacing it entirely, and I haven't found a way to change the FX order so I'd like to color the image without an FX color layer to be able to use the gradient FX.

9 minutes ago, anto said:

That looks pretty clean!

I tried to apply it however, and I'm not getting the same result as you. The coloring doesn't seem to consider the alpha/transparency of the icon image, and I'm not sure how what I am doing is different from what you are doing.

11 minutes ago, nosey_gamedev said:

I tried to apply it however, and I'm not getting the same result as you. The coloring doesn't seem to consider the alpha/transparency of the icon image, and I'm not sure how what I am doing is different from what you are doing.

It seems that you inserted image using Place Tool. In this case you have to do as showes @Return

6 minutes ago, anto said:

It seems that you inserted image using Place Tool. In this case you have to do as showes @Return

For the sake of knowledge, how did you import the image in Designer?

Looking back it seems like you have the icon as a pixel layer automatically, but if I use the place tool or I use drag/drop, the result is an image layer and not a pixel layer.

If I convert the layer to a pixel layer the method you showed works, but did you have to apply this conversion too or was it imported as a pixel layer directly somehow?

Edited by nosey_gamedev

3 minutes ago, Return said:

Copy/paste or place will have the image tag  while opening will be autoconverted to a pixel layer.
if you want to have it as image layer better use the recolor adjustment like (though a bit limited for to choosing co

I see, thank you again!

I will stick to the previous method as I need the LAB color space and it doesn't look like a recolor adjustment layer supports alternative color spaces, but it's good to know that the option exists!

1 hour ago, nosey_gamedev said:

For example, I have a small icon with a transparent background in PNG, I would import it in the program and as soon as I select a color, the image gets recolored.

This doesn't work in Affinity Designer Pixel Persona or Designer Persona.

That would work if you would vectorize the PNG image first into a PDF or SVG vector drawing and use that then instead ...

... this (a vector representation) would also have the advantage of an easy resizing to whatever size you want.

For a PNG bitmap (so no vectors) another way (beside the other above shown methods) would be to just apply another color fill here, aka ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well, that would work if it would be a vector representation (PDF or SVG) of that simple house silhouette, so if you would vectorize the PNG first ...

Makes sense, what would be the quickest way to convert the image to a vector though? I tried right clicking and 'convert to curves', but that doesn't seem to account for transparency either, if I pick a color the whole bounding box changes color.

22 minutes ago, nosey_gamedev said:

Makes sense, what would be the quickest way to convert the image to a vector though?

As the Affinity apps don't yet have any tracer/vectorizer build-in, using a third-party tool for this job would be the way to go here. - See therefor ...

You would trace the bitmap to vectors (saved as PDF or SVG) with some tool shown/listed there and then afterwards import (File->Open...) that in any of the Affinity apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Sorry included the wrong link before above, you have to look after these here ...

12 minutes ago, nosey_gamedev said:

Hmm I hope a built-in vectorizer is a feature in a future release. Would be great to vectorize my hand drawn raster images within Designer.

Well, that's something people are already waiting years for, but who knows maybe one day it will get possible (reality).

4 hours ago, nosey_gamedev said:

I hope a built-in vectorizer is a feature in a future release.

IIRC, at one point not long after the release of Affinity Designer they said they would include a vectorizer only if they could include one that did an equal or better job than the best existing vectorizer apps. But since then, they have not said anything further about it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, nosey_gamedev said:

Is there any alternative way?

I need the FX gradient overlay on top of the colored image, but that color applies AFTER the gradient replacing it entirely, and I haven't found a way to change the FX order so I'd like to color the image without an FX color layer to be able to use the gradient FX.

Another way