You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Image Quality after saving

Sam Neil

6 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@Sam Neil Can you expand more on your workflow, what adjustments or edits are you applying before saving?

Is this happening with any image or just a particular one, if just one what is it's source?

Lee - Not much to it - You can try it yourself - Take the original image - lets say crop it and simple SAVE it rather than export and the quality is diminished. I have a huge batch and don't know the source I am afraid. 

I get the same visual result when exporting with 1% image quality.

But cannot reproduce the results using save as on iPad currently.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

@Sam Neil Still fine for me, opening an image, apply a crop and then use File > Save. Then open the photo open in a viewer and it's fine.

Could you do a screen recording showing the process for you, just in case and also provide a copy of one of the files.

20 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@Sam Neil Still fine for me, opening an image, apply a crop and then use File > Save. Then open the photo open in a viewer and it's fine.

Could you do a screen recording showing the process for you, just in case and also provide a copy of one of the files.

Lee the screen recording will not show anything as the newly saved file is not the same what is in Photos. It becomes apparent when you go and open the newly saved file.

• Staff

I'd like to confirm the process, so the recording can show the following.

1. Opening the source image on screen to confirm
  2. Opening Affinity Photo and opening the source image using File > Open
  3. Applying your edits/adjustments
  4. Using File > Save
  5. Opening saved file on screen to see changes

Also, if you use File > Export instead and create a new file, doe this show as expected or the same as Save?

For example, here are those steps on my system.

• Staff

I've been testing the process on multiple systems and can't replicate the issue.

Have you tried resetting the app to default settings to see if this has any effect?
Hold down the CTRL key and open the app, some options will appear on screen. Release the key and click Clear.

You can also try turning off Hardware Acceleration within the apps Settings > Performance and then repeat the process to see if the same occurs.

4 minutes ago, Lee D said:

I've been testing the process on multiple systems and can't replicate the issue.

Have you tried resetting the app to default settings to see if this has any effect?
Hold down the CTRL key and open, some options will appear on screen. Release the key and click Clear.

You can also try turning off Hardware Acceleration within the apps Settings > Performance and then repeat the process to see if the same occurs.

Hold down the CTRL key and open - Not following this - This opens the open file dialog box.

HA - was and is switched off

• Staff

Hold down CTRL and open the app, then when the options appear release the key and click Clear.

I'm sending you a link via DM to upload one of the files shown in your screen recording for me to also test with.

• Staff

@Sam Neil I've managed to reproduce the issue using the image you provided via Dropbox. It seems to relate to the images EXIF data. I've logged it with our developers to look in to and see if a fix can be applied. For the moment the workaround is to not use File > Save but Export out to a new file instead.

8 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@Sam Neil I've managed to reproduce the issue using the image you provided via Dropbox. It seems to relate to the images EXIF data. I've logged it with our developers to look in to and see if a fix can be applied. For the moment the workaround is to not use File > Save but Export out to a new file instead.

Great stuff Lee - Thank you for efforts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 2:27 PM, Lee D said:

@Lee D I was wondering if this made it to the fix list. It is becoming extremely difficult and dangerous as when attention is not paid and I SAVE rather than EXPORT I mess up the file. I nearly 5000 JPEGs like this that need to be cropped and saved. 

29 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@Sam Neil We've just started a new beta cycle that will be testing out new fixes. However I can't give any confirmation if this issue will be included in that beta cycle or not.

I hope it is in the list as I think this is critical issue and if there is no back up of the file - it is damaged. Please bump this one if you can. 

9 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

I hope it is in the list as I think this is critical issue and if there is no back up of the file - it is damaged. Please bump this one if you can. 

In the meantime, you might consider remapping your keyboard shortcuts in Photo so that Ctrl+S is unmapped, or is mapped to File > Export. That way you won't accidentally use Ctrl+S and overlay your original JPG image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In the meantime, you might consider remapping your keyboard shortcuts in Photo so that Ctrl+S is unmapped, or is mapped to File > Export. That way you won't accidentally use Ctrl+S and overlay your original JPG image.

Walt  - This is not ideal as I may not always use the keyboard to save and click on the menu but appreciate the workaround.