You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: Select nodes by double click

There are three options available to select all nodes of a curve. In my case I wanted to scale the inside of a gear, which was very easy with the selection frame. If the shape is more complex, the only option is to multiple select with Shift or select with the lasso.

My idea: After clicking on a node of a curve, the entire curve could be activated by an additional double click on the already activated node.

That would make work enormously easier. Maybe something like this can be achieved with an update.

Zahnrad.thumb.png.e9751426fb1b3143364dab368a8c0589.png

You can already select all of the nodes of a Curve layer by selecting a node on the curve and choosing menu “Select → All”, or by using the shortcut key.

You can also select all of the nodes of multiple curves in a Curves layers by Shift-selecting one node in each individual curve and then using the same method.

See attached video.

Does your suggestion extend the current functionality in any way, or am I missing the point of what you want to do?

1 hour ago, raily74 said:

I didn't know that and couldn't find it even after a lot of Google search.

Just for information - to search for topics on the forum, I recommend using Google Search, which often gives relevant results even for general searches.
For example: https://www.google.com/search?q=select+all+nodes+of+a+curve+site:https://forum.affinity.serif.com

and first finded link:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 minutes ago, lepr said:

Easier to select none of the nodes then use Select All (cmd+A).

Provided the appropriate curves are selected in the Layers panel.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I had a look in the Help, specifically the pages for:

• Node Tool;
  • Edit curves and shapes;
  • Draw and edit shapes;
  • Draw curves and shapes;
  • Transforming curves and shapes;
  • Selecting and aligning nodes...

...and there’s no mention of this, that I can see.
(Why are there so many separate pages about drawing/editing curves/shapes? Maybe some 'consolidation' would be useful.)

I think this should be mentioned in the “Selecting and aligning nodes” page, at least – the “To select multiple nodes” section would seem appropriate.

It might be worth adding a feature request to ask for this.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

I had a look in the Help [...] and there’s no mention of this, that I can see.

[…]

It might be worth adding a feature request to ask for this.

Of course, I read most of these help articles before opening this thread. You feel a bit stupid when there is already a solution and you just haven't found it. So thank you again for the quick help.

Does a new feature request have to be opened or are those responsible reading this?

33 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

not every forum user is as well versed in Affinity applications

In fact, I lack a bit of practice in using the Affinity Suite. This is particularly annoying since, with 25 years of experience, I was very confident in using the Creative Suite.

In 2018 I purchased Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, but was still able to work with the old CS5.5 until 2020, so there was no reason to switch. Since I now only use the whole thing privately, there are not enough projects that can train how to use the Affinity Suite. But it's getting better day by day.

30 minutes ago, lepr said:

I never responded to the OP at all.

But the tip confused me at that moment because I was missing a crucial part, namely selecting the object beforehand, then switching to the node tool and then choosing menu “Select → All”. What made it worse was that I didn't understand the point of it, because if I wanted to select all the nodes, I could also just select the layer or the object?! But I only wanted to select a part of a combined geometry.

What I understood from @GarryP was a way to select multiple nodes of different curves within a layer. I think, he didn't talk about the nodes of all curves. Because I wouldn't need to switch to the node tool to do that.

Anyway, thank you very much for helping me.

• Staff

I have hidden a few posts in this thread, please familiarise yourself with our Guidelines before continuing to post.

We appreciate all users willing to offer their time and knowledge to assist here on the Affinity Forums as it can make for a wonderful community - we only ask that you treat each other with civility.

I do not wish to have to lock this thread from further replies, but if this does not remain on topic of assisting the user, I will be forced to do such.

If you find you don't wish to interact with specific community members on the Forums, I suggest using the 'Ignore' feature, available when hovering your mouse over any users username/profile picture.

Thanks for your understanding.

53 minutes ago, raily74 said:

So thank you again for the quick help.

You’re welcome.
(I’m pretty sure that I had to be told about it rather than finding it out for myself.)

54 minutes ago, raily74 said:

Does a new feature request have to be opened or are those responsible reading this?

Since the gist of this request is about a way to select multiple nodes, but the actual need is to have some existing functionality documented, I would say that a new request should probably be created. (You can add a link to that request in a post in this one so there’s some kind of continuity.)