You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Managing Resources Question

I am working on a draft photobook using Publisher v1 on MacOS.  I am getting a resource, non-linked issue with 2 Pixabay vector images I am using (and not several others).  I have placed them in a picture frame tool.  When I did that several of the other vector images resolved but not the last 2.  Do I just not worry about it?  Why are those errors still occurring?  

Are you getting a specific error message? 

Can you create a sample document that demonstrates the error, that you can share?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

9 hours ago, minimejdh1 said:

When I did that several of the other vector images resolved but not the last 2.  Do I just not worry about it?  

I experienced occasionally an incomplete update of missing resources when using this option. – Instead of ignoring the 'Missing' status (and risking an unwanted output result) you just can fix the status with the "Relink" button inside the Resource Manger with the missing item selected.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

If I do what @thomasorecommends it takes me to my hard drive Finder.  The image is from within Publisher in Stock > Pixabay > Vector.  

The odd behavior is for one of the items reported as missing in the Resource manager, I deleted it and then found it in Pixabay again and placed it.  That seemed to resolve it.  But then 3 items I had done the same thing to and were fine now are reported as missing.  Can't figure out how to use the pixabay vector images and have it work out alright!

14 minutes ago, minimejdh1 said:

takes me to my hard drive Finder.  The image is from within Publisher in Stock > Pixabay > Vector.  

I am not experienced with the Affinity Stock Panel but it sounds you did not download the file + placed it from your disk into the layout? Since Affinity is known for issues with any document saved on an external drive I wouldn't wonder if an image link to an internet page would not work as possibly expected.

So, I'd recommend to download the image as a file on your local drive before placing it in the layout.

Thanks @thomaso.  In the meantime, I have submitted a request to Affinity Help.  Their manual states you can use the built in images in the stock panel in your documents by either placing them directly OR putting within a pictur frame.  The latest thing I am trying (along the lines of what you just suggested) is you can double-click the stock image and it will open up the image on Pixabay's website; I then download the image on my computer; and then replace the item from my hard drive.  So far that has worked (and hopefully won't change).  A lot of additional steps for what should have worked correctly.  

There is an odd behavior in the Affinity applications, which feels like a bug to me.

If you have a document set to "Prefer Linked", then I have noticed the following:

1. If you drag a raster image from the Stock panel into your document, it is made Embedded (even though the document preference is for Linking).
  2. If you drag a vector image from the Stock panel, though, it is made Linked, and Affinity saves a local copy of the vector image into the "temp" directory that Affinity keeps internally associated with the user. 

It seems odd that raster and vector images are treated differently here.

But I think what is happening to you, @minimejdh1, is that when you close the Affinity application, and restart it, the application clears that temp directory. When that happens, your Linked vector images are also deleted, and will show as Missing.

Probably Affinity applications should be Embedding the vector Stock images, just as they do for raster Stock images.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, minimejdh1 said:

I have submitted a request to Affinity Help.

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There is an odd behavior in the Affinity applications, which feels like a bug to me.

If you have a document set to "Prefer Linked", then I have noticed the following: (…)

2. If you drag a vector image from the Stock panel, though, it is made Linked, and Affinity saves a local copy of the vector image into the "temp" directory that Affinity keeps internally associated with the user

I guess it requires a bug report rather than an addition to the Help articles. I just tried the vector version in V1 on a mac and notice it does NOT get stored within the user's home folder (e.g. "Download" or "user/Library/Affinity…") but in a temporary system-only folder ("private" -> "var" …) that should not get used for user documents related content and which is therefore generally invisible in macOS to avoid any user interaction.

pixabayvectorpath1.thumb.jpg.d8f9afa5542726b14e93afc3aec89ba4.jpg

pixabayvectorpath2.thumb.jpg.8c57340b7a8db96c6969b33227bcd89c.jpg

Additionally the used temp folder within this folder "T" gets auto-deleted on shutdown or reboot and thus there is no chance to find it in another state than "Missing" when the .afpub gets reopened.

pixabayvectorpath3.thumb.jpg.59e511462fcc0ce5520d7e0851ff4376.jpg

2 hours ago, minimejdh1 said:

A lot of additional steps for what should have worked correctly.

Another workaround after having dragged the image into the layout could be to go to the file on disk via the Resource Manager + move it to a proper location + update its link.

Or, without to access the hidden temporary folder:

1. Open the Resource Manager
2. press "Embed"
3. and after the next reboot
4. open the Resource Manager
5. press "Make linked"
6. choose a folder.

@walt.farrell I think you nailed it.  Thanks everyone.  Following was Affinity support response:

This may be caused by the default image placement policy on your document placing the stock images as linked resources rather than embedded. If your default placement policy is set to 'Prefer Linked' this will place the stock images/vectors as linked images which are stored in a temporary directory in finder which is likely getting cleared under certain conditions, such as a reboot. Instead, I would suggest ensuring that your document is set to 'Prefer Embedded' under 'Document Setup' and then going forward they will be placed as resources embedded into your document which shouldn't go missing, this will increase the file size of the document but hopefully prevent any further missing files.

As for existing stock images, if you go to the 'Resource Manager' found under the 'Document' menu along the top you can highlight and convert the images to embedded. I've linked a few help guides below which help explain the difference.

The temporary file you mention would certainly explain what I saw upon reboot.  Now I will change the vector files to embed and I should be good to go.  Appreciate everyone's input.  

35 minutes ago, minimejdh1 said:

If your default placement policy is set to 'Prefer Linked' this will place the stock images/vectors as linked images which are stored in a temporary directory in finder which is likely getting cleared under certain conditions, such as a reboot.

If the app / developers are aware of this possible data loss I wonder why they decided to use this temporary system file path … and don't display a dialog window instead which asks the user for a location when the image gets dragged into the layout document with a 'Prefer Linked' setting.

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

If the app / developers are aware of this possible data loss I wonder why they decided to use this temporary system file path … and don't display a dialog window instead which asks the user for a location when the image gets dragged into the layout document with a 'Prefer Linked' setting.

I still think it's a bug :)

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, minimejdh1 said:

I wonder if it exists in V2?

That's where I tested.

-- Walt
PC:

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I still think it's a bug :)

… "by design". 😇   –  Do you have an idea whether the "Affinity support" quoted by the OP are forum moderators or rather developers or even a third group?

FWIW, in APub when a vector stock item from Pixabay is added when Prefer Linked is enabled, you can confirm it is saved to a temp folder in var by clicking on it in the Resources Manager. Along the bottom of the manager window, the file path will be shown. Show in Finder also takes you to that location.

In contrast, adding a raster format stock item always (at least in V2) sets its Placement to Embedded. In Resources Manager if you select it & click the Make Linked... button, you get a dialog popup asking for the folder you want to save it to.

EDIT: I think this is how it should work when using Prefer Linked with a Pixabay vector stock item -- before that can be added to the document, there should be a popup asking where you want to save it to.

Actually, on further thought, I think like for raster format files it should ignore Prefer Linked  (which isn't a guarantee that everything will be linked anyway) & embed the vector file. So then, if a user wants to make it linked, like for raster stock images, you get a dialog asking where you want to store it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've created a bug report. We'll see what Serif says :)

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
On 9/8/2023 at 4:42 PM, thomaso said:

Do you have an idea whether the "Affinity support" quoted by the OP are forum moderators or rather developers or even a third group?

I can confirm this was a response via email from the Affinity tech support team directly - I've updated Walts bug report at the above link with further information regarding why this answer was provided, and the action I've taken :)