You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I asked this question about a week ago but had no response.

Is there a way to make the 'Greys' swatch the default swatch instead of colours?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.4.2

From the help...

To set a default palette:

1. On the Swatches panel, select a palette from the palette pop-up menu.
  2. Click Panel Preferences and choose a colour format option from the Set as Default for from the pop-up menu.

To revert to using a system palette, choose Remove Default for <colour format> from Panel Preferences.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff
1 minute ago, Aammppaa said:

From the help...

To set a default palette:

1. On the Swatches panel, select a palette from the palette pop-up menu.
  2. Click Panel Preferences and choose a colour format option from the Set as Default for from the pop-up menu.

To revert to using a system palette, choose Remove Default for <colour format> from Panel Preferences.

As it stands at the moment the 'Set as Default for' function does nothing when assigning a default palette to a colour format, this is logged with the developers. As far as i'm aware as a result of this issue this would have to be a manual swatch change on new documents.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 8:07 AM, NathanC said:

As it stands at the moment the 'Set as Default for' function does nothing when assigning a default palette to a colour format, this is logged with the developers. As far as i'm aware as a result of this issue this would have to be a manual swatch change on new documents.

Are you sure it does nothing?

I haven't tried recently, but in the past what it did was allow you to automatically instantiate a Document Palette in a new document that you create. That is, you create a Document Palette in one document, mark it as a Default, and whenever you create another document with that same color format, the new document automatically has that Document Palette in it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

• Staff
6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I haven't tried recently, but in the past what it did was allow you to automatically instantiate a Document Palette in a new document that you create. That is, you create a Document Palette in one document, mark it as a Default, and whenever you create another document with that same color format, the new document automatically has that Document Palette in it.

I've just now tried this with a CMYK/8 document palette and to my surprise it worked! This can easily be mis-interpreted by myself and others to be an auto-selection of a specific palette when creating a document in a specific colour format, I'll update the exiting issue since this function definitely needs some clarification. Cheers Walt.

7 minutes ago, NathanC said:

I've just now tried this with a CMYK/8 document palette and to my surprise it worked! This can easily be mis-interpreted by myself and others to be an auto-selection of a specific palette when creating a document in a specific colour format, I'll update the exiting issue since this function definitely needs some clarification. Cheers Walt.

This appears to be an action you take when opening a new doc. Is there a way to make the Greys pallet a permanent default setting? My reason for asking this is because the bulk of my work is technical drawing and I f I need to choose a colour I use the Colour wheel. Otherwise I only need the Greys pallet.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.4.2

• Staff
1 minute ago, jackamus said:

This appears to be an action you take when opening a new doc. Is there a way to make the Greys pallet a permanent default setting? My reason for asking this is because the bulk of my work is technical drawing and I f I need to choose a colour I use the Colour wheel. Otherwise I only need the Greys pallet.

Not as far as i'm aware unfortunately, myself and others was under the impression that the 'Set as default for' should work for auto selection of a palette by default (such as Greys), but evidently it doesn't so I've just raised this internally against the existing logged issue.

Hi Nathan, Thanks for raising the issue.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.4.2