You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page numbering in a book is stuck

I've a book in which page numbering is stuck with my first chapter numbered 1 to 13 and the second chapter starting at 13.

I've found no means of starting this second chapter at 14, and of course the verso/recto is wrong too.

Section manager is unresponsive

How do I reset this feature in order to make the book behave?

Does your 2nd chapter's document begin with a left page (in Document settings)? Is it a single or double page document?

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Are you using the Book function in Publisher 2, and Chapter documents? Or are you using a single .afpub file with Sections?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In the Books panel, select one of the misbehaving chapters, then click the Panel Settings ("burger" menu), and choose Page Number Options....

What do you see in the next dialog, and can you fix the problem there?

image.png.a3ca373ba71ac96e12e3ff1b5a0d4776.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Strange.

Have you considered choosing "Start Numbering from Page" and specifying 14? It should not be necessary, but might at least resolve the problem.

Then you can work on getting chapter 3 to start on the correct number....

-- Walt
PC:

I tried that and still it remained at 13.

Then I tried the Section Manager on that chapter, changing it to 14, still no effect. But then I tried changing the Number Style in that dialog (it's got no OK button) to letters, closed it, reopened it and changed back again to numbers.

• 5 weeks later...

This is still a major problem.
I can get the page numbering to behave correctly for a little while but when it comes to exporting the book to a pdf it reverts to the incorrect numbering again.

This makes exporting a book to pdf  not possible. I've tried a wide variety of means to fix this, including saving the book under a different name.

All that's left to me now is exporting each chapter separately then stitching them together in my pdf editor (Phantompdf)

Please fix this

I've done quite a bit of testing on this and can't duplicate any problems with book page numbering for chapters that have a single section, but if there is a new known bug with chapters that have multiple sections. Please see this other thread in the bug report forum.

If you have only a single section in each chapter then Serif may need to see your files to review the issue.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 5 weeks later...

Not really practical Lee with so many images, much as I'd like to help solve it that would take an immense amount of time.

It has happened again though on an unrelated book compiled completely from scratch. Two chapters that won't renumber no matter what I try.

I'll have a shot at messing with those sections as Mike suggests

AP book fault.jpg

8 hours ago, Rainieria said:

It has happened again though on an unrelated book compiled completely from scratch. Two chapters that won't renumber no matter what I try.

Try this. Save the book and close it. Open the two documents WS Boxes and WS Design on their own, use the Section manager to set their start numbering pages to 1 and save them. Reopen the book and update the page numbers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That was the only way I was able to get continuous numbering in the first of the publications I mentioned in this thread.

i.e. remove the chapter from the book and start page numbering at the correct number.

To compile and send to the printers I've then to stitch them all together using a third-party pdf editor.

What happens with your suggestion, Bruce, is that those chapters temporarily revert to starting at page 1 then running the book's Update Numbers causes them to go back to what I showed above

13 minutes ago, Rainieria said:

The link to the solution to all this bizzarely produces an image rather than a link as in MikeTO's reply

Click the ... icon on the upper-right of any forum post, then click Share to get the URL of that post. Then paste the URL into your post.

-- Walt
PC: