You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place doc vs docx files

I'm new to Affinity so I have only seen Affinity 2. I'm experimenting with placing Word documents in Publisher. In particular, I'm exploring tables since much of my work involves building forms using tables.

Docx files are supported while doc files are not. Was this the case with Affinity 1? It seems odd that legacy doc file placement is not an option.

My work around is to open the doc files in OpenOffice and then save as RTF. The down side is that table structures are lost and replaced with tabs and returns but I expect I'll still be able to work with these.

I'm just trying to get a better handle on my new work flows and understand the inner workings of Affinity. My career/office environment is Adobe and Microsoft but I'm trying to translate this to my home environment; free of Adobe and Microsoft while supporting open source and other options.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, StewartTower said:

My work around is to open the doc files in OpenOffice and then save as RTF. The down side is that table structures are lost and replaced with tabs and returns but I expect I'll still be able to work with these.

I switched from OpenOffice to LibreOffice long ago, so I've lost track of what capabilities OpenOffice provides. I can confirm, though, that LibreOffice can produce Docx files, which will provide a better experience than using RTF.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I switched from OpenOffice to LibreOffice long ago, so I've lost track of what capabilities OpenOffice provides. I can confirm, though, that LibreOffice can produce Docx files, which will provide a better experience than using RTF.

LibreOffice is new to me but I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks.

All you ever wanted to know about LibreOffice (or not): https://itsfoss.com/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/

OpenOffice has been pretty much forked/replaced by LibreOffice many years ago. I used LibreOffice for years to convert my Scrivener text to .docx files until I decided to spring the 35 bucks each for two copies of Word/Excel and whatever else comes with the official lifetime packages for my two laptops.

@StewartTower - since you're a Mac user, there's another possibility that you could look at for converting .doc to .docx - Apple's very own Pages, which you'll already have.

I've just done a quick test to create a .doc file in Word that was opened quite happily by Pages.  Pages is unable to Export back out to .doc - but it has long been able to produce .docx files.  File > Export To > Word…

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

16 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

@StewartTower - since you're a Mac user, there's another possibility that you could look at for converting .doc to .docx - Apple's very own Pages, which you'll already have.

I've just done a quick test to create a .doc file in Word that was opened quite happily by Pages.  Pages is unable to Export back out to .doc - but it has long been able to produce .docx files.  File > Export To > Word…

You're right; worked like a charm. Pages opened my doc file, exported to docx, and kept all the tables intact.

Lovin' this forum.

Thanks.