You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing dictionary for language, Spelling Mistake

I'm from Brazil and I tried to install the custom language from this instruction but I don't have success. I also tried rename at differents forms but still not working. Anyone can help me?

I found a similar topic and this, but in my case not work too.

I'm using the Affinity Publish 2.1.1 and more details check the attached imagens.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 22.17.09.png

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 22.21.17.png

Edited by shid

Hi, @shid & welcome to the forums! Just curious but where did you find the two en_BR files? I assume they are for English words used in Brazil, but I know nothing about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, shid said:

Hi @R C-R, actually those files not exists. I only download the pt_BR files and rename them to en_BR

To what purpose? Aren't those 2 files meant to support Brazilian Portuguese spell checking? Does changing the country code to English do anything useful for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, actually, I rename those files because the warning message are asking for en_BR as showed at the imagem bellow. I tried to rename to pt_BR but doesn't work. So I rename it.

I'm from Brazil and my macbook is configured to US region, but the most write I do is in portuguese. Maybe is that the language conflicts.  

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 22.17.09.png

I could be wrong but I don't think just renaming those files will make them actual dictionaries that will replace the missing one, at least functionally.

Maybe one of the mods or other forum members can comment more about it....

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, shid said:

Well, for me works!

Does it actually correct any spelling errors or just remove the preflight warnings?

Affinity Photo 

I having same problem. I install Apu on different computer (same household) and now I get always the error message "missing dictionary". I put 3 different dictionaries in correct location (well...I'm thinking is correctly location) but Apu recognise none of them. I restart Apu but still it not recognising dictionaries. Can please someone assist me to fix this problem? What I'm doing wrong? I too am using Apu version 2.1.1 but for Windows. See please attached screen shots. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

8 minutes ago, Horizon3 said:

What I'm doing wrong?

My first guess would be that you downloaded the dictionaries in the wrong format. This is especially easy to get wrong if you try to download directly from GitHub, rather than downloading the files provided in the second post of the FAQ. You can check for that by opening the files using a standard text editor program. They should look like text data, not like HTML coding.

FAQ:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

11 minutes ago, Horizon3 said:

I having same problem.

Did you already restarted APub afterwards in order to recognize that there is added data?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Did you already restarted APub afterwards in order to recognize that there is added data?

From the post:

15 minutes ago, Horizon3 said:

I restart Apu but still it not recognising dictionaries.

Affinity Photo 

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My first guess would be that you downloaded the dictionaries in the wrong format

@walt.farrell thank you much but I downloaded the dictionaries from post you references and before I'm change computer, dictionaries all work without problem. 

38 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Thank you @v_kyr. Yes. I do this several time. 

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

This is especially easy to get wrong if you try to download directly from GitHub, rather than downloading the files provided in the second post of the FAQ.

The term to use here is to download them as RAW data from GitHub.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I'm find what I do wrong. In post references by @walt.farrell it says, 

Please make sure that you specify a folder that holds all subfolders for each locale and not one specific locale folder as this will not work!

I'm specified "one specific locale folder" in error and not see I do this. Now problem is fixed. Thank you for all suggestions and questions. 

7 minutes ago, Horizon3 said:

I'm find what I do wrong. In post references by @walt.farrell it says, 

I'm specified "one specific locale folder" in error and not see I do this. Now problem is fixed. Thank you for all suggestions and questions. 

So for Win you probably need such a folder structure setup ...

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\mydicts\en_GB\*

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\mydicts\en_CA\*

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

So for Win you probably need such a folder structure setup ...

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\mydicts\en_GB\*

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\mydicts\en_CA\*

No, they need to be just where @Horizon3 showed them in the File Explorer screenshots. But that requires that the user does not alter the application setting for where the dictionary files are located. And Horizon3 did not show us that setting.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, they need to be just where @Horizon3 showed them in the File Explorer screenshots. But that requires that the user does not alter the application setting for where the dictionary files are located. And Horizon3 did not show us that setting.

If I interpret Dan C's FAQ entry correctly (?) ...

Please make sure that you specify a folder that holds all subfolders for each locale and not one specific locale folder as this will not work!

... pointing to C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\mydicts (as shown in above structure) via setup should then work.

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If I interpret Dan C's FAQ entry correctly (?) ...

Not really important to me as a Mac user but from that FAQ I did not understand how this was supposed to be structured for Windows. Perhaps if the FAQ included an example of the correct structure folder it might have been easier to understand?

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

but from that FAQ I did not understand how this was supposed to be structured for Windows. Perhaps if the FAQ included an example of the correct structure folder it might have been easier to understand?

Same for me here. And for sure with a shown example there in the FAQ entry for Win, it would have been overall more helpful, than guessing how that sentence is to be interpreted and how it is meant!

The best way is you leave the Preference/Setting alone. And you put the language-specific folders into the directory shown in that default Preference/Setting.

The mistake many users make is creating a language-specific folder, such as en_CA, and putting it into the proper location. But then they change the Preference/Setting and add en_CA to the end of it. That action is not specified in the FAQ. The FAQ says to create a folder for the language, in the folder specified in the Preference/Setting, and put the dictionary files in the language folder.

-- Walt
PC: