You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freehand selection tool progress dissapear when clicking outside the frame

Kyri

Hello,

I am not sure if this is a bug or there is a way to fix this let me know.

I use freehand selection tool to crop a lot and the cropping takes a while, on V1 when i would click elsewhere or minimized the affinity window the progress of the Polygonal mode would remain in place and i would continue afterwards, but in V2 if i click anywhere outside the area of the image it just dissapears and i lose all progress.

• Staff

Hi Kyri,

From what I can see by testing here the behaviour is the same in V2 as it is in V1 please could you provide a screen recording showing the behaviour you are seeing in V1 thats different to V2?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I'm with @Callum on this one. Photo 2.1.1 and 1.10 seem to work the same, for me.

Here's a 2.1.1 recording. I'm not sure what might be different between our systems to cause mine to work where yours fails.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell Hello, thank you for sharing your prespective, does anything happen if you minimize the entire Affinity window? This also causes the progress of the tool to dissapear in V2 and not in V1. 

Additionally id like to mention that this behavior doesn't only happen on my personal system, but also my work laptop, so it might be more than just the system, maybe something in settings im not aware of?

35 minutes ago, Kyri said:

This also causes the progress of the tool to dissapear in V2 and not in V1. 

But in V1 it autocloses the selection at the image boundaries in some fairly unpredictable way, so I do not consider it a usable function while trying to do a freehand polygonal selection. And I cannot think of any situation in which I would want to minimize the window while I'm in the middle of doing a selection.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell I do detailed layer cropping for animations, so a selection can take from 10 to even 15 minutes depending on object, i take breaks in this case and i switch windows and what not, or a lot of times i need to look at something else or check notifications from elsewhere, which also require me to switch windows.
 And as il mention below, maybe you haven't tried using the scroll bars? Lots of times a lot of times i zoom in with ctrl + Scroll and need to move around with them for a detailed selection, but again, progress dissapears.

Regardless, it is something that is not happening in V1, and some change in V2 is causing this to occur which stops me from using it, and it is unfortunate as i just bought V2.

@prophetThank you, that is exactly what i am trying to show, just using the scroll bars cause the process to dissapear in V2, which is very odd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
25 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Hello, any updates on this please? Im unable to use V2 because of this, please refer to my conversation above for more insight on the issue. @Callum

Apologies for not responding on the 18th, this is currently logged with our developers to be fixed it seems as though the scrollbar issue only affects Windows and not Mac so it hopefully shouldn't be too long until this is fixed.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 6:17 PM, Callum said:

Apologies for not responding on the 18th, this is currently logged with our developers to be fixed it seems as though the scrollbar issue only affects Windows and not Mac so it hopefully shouldn't be too long until this is fixed.

Almost half a year has passed and still nothing. Pity.