You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 2.1.1] two issues with hyperlinks: Affinity doesn't recognize e-mail address + impossible to add e-mail hyperlink on valid e-mail address

Two issues regarding e-mail addresses and hyperlinks in Affinity:

1) E-mail addres not recognised
When selecting an url in text and clicking the plus-button on the hyperlink panel to make it a hyperlink, Affinity recognizes this as an url, fills in the url in the textbox, switches to the url mode and enables the OK button in that dialog box. However when we do the same with an e-mail adress in the text, it doesn't recognises the e-mail address as e-mail, but acts like it's a url.

2) Impossible to create hyperlink for perfectly valid e-mail adress with a hyphen inside (-)
The ' add hyperlink'  popup dialog doesn't allow e-mail addresses with a hyphen inside, although this is a perfectly (and real world) e-mail address; it doesn't disable the OK button, making it impossible to add a hyperlink on this e-mailaddress!!
image.png.7099ccb080a72bded27c9c26826330ed.png

• Staff

Hi @MmmMaarten,

As Return mentioned issue 2 is fixed in the 2.2 beta, however in regards to issue 1 i'm not aware of the insert hyperlink function in the panel behaving intelligently dependant on the text content, for me it just remembers the type of my previously created hyperlink. So for example if the last hyperlink I inserted was an email, when I go to insert another hyperlink it remembers the previous type was an email and has this selected by default, unless i'm missing something?

37 minutes ago, Return said:

Afdesigner doesn't do hyperlinks, only publisher does.
In beta 2.2 it does work so this is fixed already.

You're right, I accidentally talked about Designer, while meaning Publisher. My bad.

26 minutes ago, GarryP said:

For issue 2 see: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/188808-email-link/#comment-1103072 (Found by searching the forums for hyphen email ).

8 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Hi @MmmMaarten,

As Return mentioned issue 2 is fixed in the 2.2 beta, however in regards to issue 1 i'm not aware of the insert hyperlink function in the panel behaving intelligently dependant on the text content, for me it just remembers the type of my previously created hyperlink. So for example if the last hyperlink I inserted was an email, when I go to insert another hyperlink it remembers the previous type was an email and has this selected by default, unless i'm missing something?

Nice to see it's fixed in 2.2!
Coud the first point be added as a feature request? I think it would be very helpful if Affinity could detect if a link is an url or e-mail (which is pretty easy to do with a simple regular expression).
If only, because when it's set to the wrong type we need to switch to the right type and when we do that Affinity clears the text box making it lose the automatically filled in selected text. 

Thanks in advance!

It seems they are a bit working on this as links are recognized with the data merge options.
But it would be nice to be able to copy from somewhere and it recognizes it's an url or email address and pastes that instead of plain text.

10 minutes ago, Return said:

But it would be nice to be able to copy from somewhere and it recognizes it's an url or email address and pastes that instead of plain text

Not sure I follow you, but the last thing I would personally want is all urls and e-mail addresses in the text to automatically turn into hyperlinks. More often than not I would not like that.

I was purely talking about the popup dialog that appears when adding a hyperlink while we have a plain text url text or e-mail address text selected in the text before hitting the 'add hyperlink' button from the hyperlinks panel.

I agree with MmmMaren, if you highlight an email address and then click create  hyperlink it adds the  https:// element to the text image.png.dfeddf48f5c8afd7f27d71b1c5101e18.png

If you then change the url to email it then blanks the address box and you have to close the box and go back and copy the email address, then start again. I come across this a lot and try to remember to opy before inserting the hyper link. Previous versions left the email text insitu when you change the type

image.png.e5eb86c668bcc0061d5be83132b393a0.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

As a side thing, but directly related to the same hyperlinks panel: Another thing I would like to add as a feature request: when on url-mode

Please don't add http. That's ancient, should not be used and each site should have an https anyways; so add https instead. Otherwise we still need to add the s everytime.