You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extent of adjustment layer is automatically set to entire document

It appears that any adjustment layer or mask is given an extent that covers the entire docment. While this is logical, the extent of the adjustment layer is taken into consideration when exporting "selection only," which is not logical, since the adjustment layer is arbitrarily large. This causes lots of problems, especially when exporting documents, but also in the UI itself.

For instance, here's a group with a rectangle that has a layer effect. It's in a document with multiple artboards.

image.thumb.png.53dd0b14a3a06d41915c75a5886777d0.png

Here's the same group with an adjustment layer. The thumbnail of the group is now useless, because for some reason it's trying to show me the extent of the entire document.

image.thumb.png.a5eb453002c8c91e2ca75115be2ca4c9.png

And here's the result of exporting the group as a "selection only."

image.png.f7b16e315381d863bd1a50274a2e85b3.png

I then have to open this file in Photo, clip it, and save it again.

Nesting the adjustment within the rectangle isn't an option, because then the adjustment doesn't apply to the layer effect.

image.thumb.png.a1d08ae5f97f00967a03eb024cfe59eb.png

Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong? I usually have to create a second copy of the rectangle just to clip the adjustment layer. But I don't feel like that should be necessary, when the extent of the adjustment layer has no real significance, it's just "large enough to cover everything."

For your specific case, all you need to do is make sure the HSL Adjustment is nested to the Rectangle you want it to affect.

Currently you have: image.png.4e1c34d62330a5a526f78a0985472a3d.png 

Just drag the Adjustment down so you have: image.png.48b4cca3f7a781c34627d46ac8672a0c.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, SixSphinx said:

Nesting the adjustment within the rectangle isn't an option, because then the adjustment doesn't apply to the layer effect.

There is a simple solution.

You currently have the HSL Adjustment as a member of the Group.

Drag and drop it onto the thumbnail (not the label) of the Group so it becomes mask-nested in the Group, as in the attached document.

temp fixed.afdesign

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Just drag the Adjustment down so you have:

Unfortunately and as mentioned by the OP before, this way the adjustment does not affect the rectangle's stroke. You see in both your screenshots it remains green while only the fill gets affected.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Unfortunately and as mentioned by the OP before, this way the adjustment does not affect the rectangle's stroke. You see in both your screenshots it remains green while only the fill gets affected.

Yes, that is what I found also.
I did try @lepr 's approach but didn't try hard enough apparently.
That's why I came up with the clipping mask option

2 hours ago, lepr said:

There is a simple solution.

You currently have the HSL Adjustment as a member of the Group.

Drag and drop it onto the thumbnail (not the label) of the Group so it becomes mask-nested in the Group, as in the attached document.

This is it. Thank you for your help. Masking the group and not the rectangle is the key. Edit: Actually, thank all of you who replied. I really appreciate it.