You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Kerning changes the way the font displays

I am really hesitant to change the spacing of my letters because it alters every usage of that font after that. This can't be the way this is supposed to behave. I only wish to alter a single instance of lettering to allow it to fit in the margins of a document. This happens when I am using the artistic text tool or a text frame. No matter what the font is it doesn't revert back to the default positioning of the characters. This seems very odd to me.

That is not supposed to happen. Which application are you using? Designer, Photo, or Publisher? How exactly are you altering the spacing? Meaning which panel and what tool is selected, how is the text / letter(s) selected etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am using Affinity Designer and have tested this with the text box as well as artistic text. If I am kerning letters in the middle of a word it will stay contained to those letters. When I kern a word it will continue kerning when I type after the word unless I have already pressed the space bar with previous default kerning and place my cursor ahead of that space. If I kern an entire word and then open up another text box it will adopt those changed settings. This behavior is consistent no matter how I kern the word. I have used alt+arrow keys to kern the entire contents of the text box selected. When I select the entire content by highlighting it and using the alt+arrow keys, the result is the same.  The behavior is a little different when I use the panel to change the kerning. That is a whole other level for me to research in order to figure that behavior out. I prefer to use shortcut keys to move work along which isn't serving me well in this case. This is the case with Photo and Publisher as well.

4 minutes ago, dehskins said:

When I kern a word it will continue kerning when I type after the word

Kerning determines the space between a single pair of characters, not multiple characters in a word. Do you mean tracking? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, dehskins said:

When I kern a word it will continue kerning when I type after the word

Kerning is only between letters. Do you perhaps mean Tracking? Please provide  screenshots it a video so we can see exactly what you're doing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you are using the Keyboard Shortcuts that is more akin to Tracking than Kerning. And in my limited testing it does appear that if I apply it to a text frame's worth of text then it is remembered for the next bit of text I type. If I use the Character Panel all seems to be the same. I wouldn't call this a bug as it would be unbelievably frustrating if we couldn't set the spacing to stick to the characters we are typing. When you want to space text/letters you will have to reset it to 0 (zero) in the Character Panel or Default in the menu.

ScreenShot2023-07-10at11_43_40AM.png.5ddcd70d88c596c93e9c6586c7640b8e.png

ScreenShot2023-07-10at11_43_59AM.png.05c5a4b7e3e385a48fc68d3498ec35ba.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks, Old Bruce for responding. I suppose it is tracking that I am talking about. Now I realize I have to reset it after I use it which still seems odd to me that opening up a new text box doesn't revert to the default spacing. I first notice this when I was fiddling around with the settings in the panel and things went terribly wrong so I thought I could just delete the text box and things would revert back to what the font is supposed to look like. The error persisted every time I worked with that font within that document. I think I finally know enough to know what the default settings should be now. Thanks for your help.