You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling issue (with percentages)

In Publisher 2.1.1, when I try to change the percentage scaling of an image, the double amount of scaling is done.

- When I have the image at the original size and enter a percentage of 50%, it results in a scaling of 25%.
- When I then enter a percentage of 100% again, I end up with a percentage of 400%
- When I have the percentage at 25% and enter 50%, the result is a 100% again.
- When I start with the original size and enter 97%, I end up with 94%.
- So when I have the image at the original size and want to have it at 97%, I have to enter 98.5%.
- When I have the image at 97% and want to increase it to 98%, I have to enter 97.5%.
- Then I have to enter 97.5% once more to end up with 97% again.

Hi @Simon Scheiwiller and another welcome to the forums,

This appears to be working as expected for me, could you perhaps upload your Affinity file with the image embedded so we can take a look...

You should also be able to enter percentages in the Transform Panel, are the options greyed out or what happens if you do enter something like 50% for width and/or height in the Transform Panel?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

8 minutes ago, Simon Scheiwiller said:

But then I end up with the percentage of the current size of the element, not a percentage of the original size.

I think in this case it works as expected, to go back to 100% from 50% you would have to enter 200% which would go back to the original, as the percentages in the transform panel transform based on the current size of the item being transformed.

Something that could be interesting is if there was a variable that could refer to the original size of the image, which could actually come useful from time to time

2 minutes ago, Ezbaze said:

I think in this case it works as expected, to go back to 100% from 50% you would have to enter 200% which would go back to the original, as the percentages in the transform panel transform based on the current size of the item being transformed.

Totally true, this works as expected. But this is not what I need, that's why I never use the percentages in the Transform Panel.

2 minutes ago, Ezbaze said:

Something that could be interesting is if there was a variable that could refer to the original size of the image, which could actually come useful from time to time

That can normally be done in the pop-up as in GaryP's screenshot (I've done it thousands of times, literally), but that is buggy in the current version 2.1.1.

34 minutes ago, Simon Scheiwiller said:

That can normally be done in the pop-up as in GaryP's screenshot (I've done it thousands of times, literally), but that is buggy in the current version 2.1.1.

It also doesn't work in beta2.2 and it used to work as the OP described in version1.

See video(first part 2.1.1 /second part beta2.2 /third part v1(as should be)):

1 hour ago, Simon Scheiwiller said:

- When I have the image at the original size and enter a percentage of 50%, it results in a scaling of 25%.
- When I then enter a percentage of 100% again, I end up with a percentage of 400%
- When I have the percentage at 25% and enter 50%, the result is a 100% again.
- When I start with the original size and enter 97%, I end up with 94%.
- So when I have the image at the original size and want to have it at 97%, I have to enter 98.5%.
- When I have the image at 97% and want to increase it to 98%, I have to enter 97.5%.
- Then I have to enter 97.5% once more to end up with 97% again.

I'm unsure if what you are seeing is a Windows-specific issue but on macOS using the dropdown in the 2.2.0 Beta as per @GarryP's screenshot, this appears to be working correctly...

At the original size (rounded to two decimal places for ease)...

The Image on Page 1 is 230.12 mm x 313.39mm
The Image on Page 2 is 229.95 mm x 313.22 mm

Page 1 Image

- When I enter a percentage of 50% - I get 115.06 mm x 156.7 mm = 50%
- When I then enter a percentage of 100% again - I get 230.12 mm x 313.39 mm = 100%
- When I have the percentage at 25% and enter 50% - I get 115.06 mm x 156.7 mm = 50%
- When I start with the original size and enter 97% - I get 223.22 mm x 303.99 mm = 97%

Page 2 Image

- When I enter a percentage of 50% - I get 114.98 mm x 156.61 mm = 50%
- When I then enter a percentage of 100% again - I get 229.95 mm x 313.22 mm = 100%
- When I have the percentage at 25% and enter 50% - I get 114.98 mm x 156.61 mm = 50%
- When I start with the original size and enter 97% - I get 223.06 mm x 303.83 mm = 97%

All of this is very unhelpful if this is not what you are seeing, but hopefully, someone else can also test on Windows to see if they see the same thing...

Edit: It looks as though @Return has just confirmed this to be a Windows-specific issue...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[Win] Manually changing the % scaling of a placed resource results in unexpected values" (REF: AF-388) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2222".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.