You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer | Export Persona | Update names & Export selected artboards

1. Imagine I sketched into 250 artboards, I want to export only 30 selected artboards. I have to export them one by one. Please add an "export selected" button.

2. When I rename my artboards, the artboard names won't update until I delete them from the Export Persona and add them again. Please add an "update file names" button.

Thank you 🙏

8 minutes ago, BBG3 said:

1. Imagine I sketched into 250 artboards, I want to export only 30 selected artboards. I have to export them one by one. Please add an "export selected" button.

You can make your selection of which Artboards you want using the Slices panel in the Export Persona.

image.png.a73df7222717c15116e7055edcda25a9.png

The Export Slices button at the bottom of that panel is "Export Selected", and will include only the slices that are marked as visible in that dialog.

13 minutes ago, BBG3 said:

2. When I rename my artboards, the artboard names won't update until I delete them from the Export Persona and add them again. Please add an "update file names" button.

If you rename them in the Designer Persona, they should rename automatically in the Export Persona. And they do, for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, BBG3 said:

Here on Mac OS 11.7 when I rename my Artboards, in the Designer Persona's Layers panel, the names are updated in the Export Persona. I guess you are using the Slices panel in the Export Persona to rename the Slice, doing so will not rename the Artboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you rename them in the Designer Persona, they should rename automatically in the Export Persona. And they do, for me.

If it doesn't: Then you need to remove everything in the slice name input field and it should go back to the artboard name and continue to update based on the artboard name or Item Name if the slice was created from an item, Drawn slices will default to "slice[number]"

42 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

42 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Here on Mac OS 11.7 when I rename my Artboards, in the Designer Persona's Layers panel, the names are updated in the Export Persona. I guess you are using the Slices panel in the Export Persona to rename the Slice, doing so will not rename the Artboard.

27 minutes ago, Ezbaze said:

If it doesn't: Then you need to remove everything in the slice name input field and it should go back to the artboard name and continue to update based on the artboard name or Item Name if the slice was created from an item, Drawn slices will default to "slice[number]"

Thanks @walt.farrell, @Ezbaze, and @Old Bruce.

I've just tested renaming my artboards in different ways and it works very well, without any problems ❤️. I don't know why that was an issue yesterday. It made me delete all the artboards from Export Persona that I renamed and create slices again. This issue has happened several times 🤔.

I will post the problem here if that happens again.

Love you guys. ❤️❤️❤️ 

• 7 months later...

There seems to be a bug/illogical thing about the artboard export, any artboard you created by ctrl+drag inherits the original artboard name. If I add a new artboard and copy the content from another artboard into it it uses the new name.

3 hours ago, AffntyXara said:

any artboard you created by ctrl+drag inherits the original artboard name

You are making a copy of the Artboard (and its contents), and so it has the same name. There are probably Feature Requests to change that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 3:33 PM, walt.farrell said:

You can make your selection of which Artboards you want using the Slices panel in the Export Persona.

image.png.a73df7222717c15116e7055edcda25a9.png

The Export Slices button at the bottom of that panel is "Export Selected", and will include only the slices that are marked as visible in that dialog.

The scenario is 250 artboards and the need to export 30 of them. To have to deselect 220 artboards is a pain.

Selecting 30 artboards from the canvas is a simple and painless drag operation.

Imagine having to export 20 of the 250 artboards, then after a change of a single Global Color, you have to export for example 130 other artboards. Are you really suggesting that the user then should deselect the 20 and reselect the 130?

For a large file, Exporting All artboards is too slow.

To have an Export Selected button is in my opinion essential. Alternatively let the DRAG operation to toggle the slices, in the same way as we can DRAG to toggle visibility of layers, should be supported.