You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi @charlesbewlay,

Questions

1. Are you using Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo or Affinity Publisher?
  2. Is your rectangle a vector shape or a raster image?
  3. How are you attempting to fill the rectangle, i.e., which tool or process are you using?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

It's not difficult, create a rectangle, with the rectangles layer selected, which it should be if you have just created it, if created previously simply click on it in the workspace else select the rectangles layer from the layers panel, go to the colour tab and make sure the fill colour well is upper most. and change the colour.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

Hi @charlesbewlay,

Questions

1. Are you using Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo or Affinity Publisher?
  2. Is your rectangle a vector shape or a raster image?
  3. How are you attempting to fill the rectangle, i.e., which tool or process are you using?

Hi @Hangman, thanks for quick response.

1. Publisher 2. But also switched to the other Personas

2. Vector – just drawn from Rectangle in the left hand toolbar.

3. The Fill tool (G) and the colour swatch with fill selected (and tried line also).

This should be incredibly simple.

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It's not difficult, create a rectangle, with the rectangles layer selected, which it should be if you have just created it, if created previously simply click on it in the workspace else select the rectangles layer from the layers panel, go to the colour tab and make sure the fill colour well is upper most. and change the colour.

Thanks @firstdefence. I did that, see the fill panel top left, click on the swatch I had created. But nothing happens.

Is your Layer Opacity set to 0%?
Select the layer and then look at the Opacity setting in the Layers Panel.

If that’s not it, try what you see in my attached video.
If that doesn’t work for you then please attach a full-screen video showing what happens for you.
Please make sure that we can see the Layers Panel in the video.

Simple errors can be the bane of our lives so its worth asking obvious questions, with that in mind, In the Colour panel, is opacity set to 100%

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Is your Layer Opacity set to 0%?
Select the layer and then look at the Opacity setting in the Layers Panel.

If that’s not it, try what you see in my attached video.
If that doesn’t work for you then please attach a full-screen video showing what happens for you.
Please make sure that we can see the Layers Panel in the video.

Thanks very much @GaryP, that worked a treat!

7 hours ago, charlesbewlay said:

Thanks @firstdefence. I did that, see the fill panel top left, click on the swatch I had created. But nothing happens.

It looks like from your screenshot that you have the stroke color selected in the Context toolbar & the stroke width set to "none" (zero), so of course the color of the stroke won't matter. Try selecting "Fill" in the Context toolbar instead & you should have no problems filling the rectangle with the color of your choice.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/7/2023 at 6:56 PM, R C-R said:

It looks like from your screenshot that you have the stroke color selected in the Context toolbar & the stroke width set to "none" (zero), so of course the color of the stroke won't matter. Try selecting "Fill" in the Context toolbar instead & you should have no problems filling the rectangle with the color of your choice.

Actually, fill was selected, and clicking on a swatch did nothing, and same with line. Instead I used the Swatches Panel.

Still, why the Context tools did not work remains a mystery. I just tried in a different job and it works fine. Thanks @R C-R