You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lasso selection for Designer

Hi, I think a lasso selection tool for Designer would be a big helper for many users, in many situations. In particular, if one uses Designer to illustrate and/or draw with a pen tablet, the number of small often very close objects (especially strokes) can be large. A good example could be shading an illustration with cross-hatching, where one ends up with dozens if not hundreds of strokes (and levels). Selecting portions of the illustration in such situations can become near to impossible. The Move tool is simply not precise and flexible enough. It can be used in an "intersection" mode or in a full selection mode, but in both cases it always end up capturing unwanted bits and pieces. De-selecting the unwanted objects is not easy at all, not last owing to the fact that on small objects Designer's Move tool seems to always be a little offset in relation to the object . Using the Layer panel to select details is not always an option either, because very often layers are not contiguous. 

A Lasso would allow the user to circle round objects much more accurately, thus saving time and... neurons! 🙂 

I really feel this is missing big time, I'd love to see it in a future release!  Thank you for your attention!

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Olidoesaffinity said:

... The node tool + Alt only selects the nodes on one shape. I need to be able to precisely select multiple shapes together. 

Here on Mac I can select two or more objects and then use Option held down to lasso around a bunch of nodes on those different objects. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.