You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange result when using Columns in Text Frame converted from Rectangle

Publisher 2.1.0.1779 on Windows 10.

I don’t know if this actually a bug but it looks like one.

The Text Frame – converted from a rectangle with one rounded corner, and now containing three columns – in the attached document looks larger than it actually is – the black frame and the blue rectangle have the same Width.

When the Text Frame is moved, there is considerable ‘something or other’ happening to the right-hand side.

When the document is zoomed, the right-hand side of the text frame disappears and reappears.

A video can be found here:

example-but-weird.afpub

I don't understand this issue yet but I tried to duplicate it with a fresh rectangle with a similar single rounded corner. It worked fine when I created it and pasted your text into it. Here is your frame and mine side by side with a few tweaks to make them identical and simpler.

The Transform panel shows them both as 25mm and when selected with the Move tool the size handles appear as if it's 25mm, but when selected with the Node tool your frame has corner handles on the right side that match the extra width of your object. This is rather odd.

One other minor difference - the text starts at a different point in the left column. It should be identical because they are the same dimensions and have the same corner radius and the same text. I can't figure out why this is happening either.

example-but-weird.afpub

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

@GarryP Do you have any more information on the creation of the frame as it's not something I can replicate on any of my systems.

These are the steps I take:

1. Start a new blank document
  2. Insert rectangle
  3. Switch to Corner Tool and adjust the top left corner
  4. Right click the shape and select Convert to Text Frame
  5. After converting set the columns to 3 on the Text Frame panel

@Lee D The only thing I can remember doing, which I didn’t mention earlier, is that I put a Column Break at the start of the text.
However, if I try and reproduce it myself now I can’t seem to break it.
I’ve tried all kinds of silly things – the sort of things I might do while experimenting – but can’t get the same result as before.

It’s possible that I used the example.afpub document from the original discussion as a starting point.
If you ask MickRose they might have an idea of what they did.

23 hours ago, Lee D said:

@GarryP Do you have any more information on the creation of the frame as it's not something I can replicate on any of my systems.

These are the steps I take:

1. Start a new blank document
  2. Insert rectangle
  3. Switch to Corner Tool and adjust the top left corner
  4. Right click the shape and select Convert to Text Frame
  5. After converting set the columns to 3 on the Text Frame panel

Reproduceable 10 out of 10.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta