You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

COMPOUND MASKS IN PHOTO 2

I've watched a few tutorials on the compound masks and I understand the boolean principles involved but what

I am finding difficult to grasp is when it is advantageous to use them. Can somebody give me a reasonably straightforward

explanation please.

• Staff

Hi Starchy97,

You may want to take a look at the video found in the following post as it includes a pretty good example for why you would chose a compound mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuRlbRMUA8k

We also have the following Affinity Spotlight article on this topic which you may find handy.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-use-compound-masks-in-affinity-photo-2/

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 months later...

Hello, thanks, I had already seen the video along with the others that deal with compound masks, surely I must have a problem with the order of layers, and for this reason I took a possible workflow from the videos (for a simple use) I would be:
1) Apply the desired fit filter, eg Curves.
2) Add a compound mask below the curves layer.
3) Add a luminosity range mask and drag it into the compound mask.
4) Adjust the luminosity range mask to select the area where it should be applied and the area that will be excluded.

So far so good, the mask is applied to the selected area but the unselected area becomes "transparent" and I don't know how to see the full image or what I did wrong.

dos.png

Uno.png

Your Compound Mask is not masked to the adjustment. Drag the compound mask layer over the thimbnail of the Curves layer. That should get you the desired result.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 hours ago, smadell said:

Drag the compound mask layer over the thimbnail of the Curves layer.

If it is not obvious from the typo you need to drag it over the thumbnail, which is the leftmost part of the layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

oops…

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17