You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export Bug

Hello dear community,

when exporting to a PDF file from the publisher, the affinity publisher hangs and the loading mark of the preview is created does not end. If this is not observed, the file is then simply saved, i.e. without a preview, then AP reports an error. How to work around this bug?

Unbenannt.png

Hi @Mike-14 and welcome to the forums,

What is the error reported by Publisher...

Out of interest, does the file you're attempting to export to pdf contain a multipage placed pdf file or is this simply a native Publisher document with all elements created directly in Publisher?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi Mike-14,

The export preview being slow is a known issue however it shouldn't affect the export at all. As Hangman has asked please could you tell me the error Affinity Publisher is giving you?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Having the same issue with affinity designer. A file wih 250x200cm, 300dpi (32mb filesize) and I need to export it as pdf for the printing company. Same behaviour, while generating the pdf preview it just hangs.

When I'm fast enough to click the export button the export is generated. But if not, the application hangs and nothing is happening. No crash, no error report.

Regards
Michael

Hi @Arthur Meili,

Can you Save as Package and upload your book project so we can take a look at what might be causing the issue? If you'd prefer not to upload to the public forum you can request a private Dropbox link to upload you file to by replying to this post. The Serif team can then take a look to see if there is any specific reason why your file is giving the error.

Questions

1. Are you attempting to export the file to your internal hard drive or to an external or cloud drive?
  2. If the former, how much disk space do you have available on your hard drive?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Hi @Michael Hnat,

You shouldn't need to wait for the export preview window to display a preview before exporting your file...

Are you able to upload your document so we can take a look at what might be going on with your file. The physical dimensions of the file mean it will take longer to export but assuming you have sufficient disk space it should still export without issue unless there is something contained in your file causing an issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Arthur Meili,

@Callum or a member of the Serif moderation team will provide a Dropbox link for you so you can upload your file and they can then take a look...

• Staff

I've created you a private Dropbox link @Arthur Meili https://www.dropbox.com/request/nuZ9MmTjugqSttGHlpsc

Please inform us once you have completed the upload as unfortunately, we do not get notifications for this.

Any issues, give us a shout :)

• Staff

Hi @Arthur Meili

The good news is, I have identified what the issue was. The somewhat less good news is that I had to delete about 5 or 6 images that were using a Greyscale D50 ICC Profile.

I suggest you go through the Resource Manager and look for those images and either replace or convert them. 

This can easily be done by using the arrow keys to go through the list of resources in the Resource Manager. It took me about 2 minutes. I did not want to send a project back with the missing images to prevent you from looking through all the pages for what I had deleted.

Here's an example of one of the offending images. I will be logging this with the developers:

image.png