You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS opened in V2.1 Publisher but not able to edit content within

I've opened up an EPS file and I want to edit the textual parts and drop in my own Text and Data into each section.

However, I can't find a way to do this.  Normally I can see each letter and curve and can delete them, but now I can't

Does anyone know why?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.3b8f39ce5599a70dc31cd8f553dd9196.png

3 minutes ago, TopRobRoy said:

I've opened up an EPS file and I want to edit the textual parts and drop in my own Text and Data into each section.

However, I can't find a way to do this.  Normally I can see each letter and curve and can delete them, but now I can't

Does anyone know why?

An EPS file can contain Pixel data. Looks like your EPS file consists exclusively of Pixel data. Meaning there are no vectors at all in it. That is how it was made or exported.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @TopRobRoy,
Do you mind sharing the EPS file to be inspected? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private - just let me know.
I doubt the file doesn't contain vector data (as its a template and doesn't make any sense share it in a non-editable format). Most likely we are not able to see/import the vector data because the way/settings the file was exported.

5 minutes ago, TopRobRoy said:

Thanks. I had a JPG file of it also though. Would that still be the same issue.

Yes it would be the same issue. JPEGs are exclusively Pixels.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

52 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @TopRobRoy,
Do you mind sharing the EPS file to be inspected? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private - just let me know.
I doubt the file doesn't contain vector data (as its a template and doesn't make any sense share it in a non-editable format). Most likely we are not able to see/import the vector data because the way/settings the file was exported.

Sure here's the file. thanks for that.

[EDIT] commercial file removed [/EDIT]

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Yes it would be the same issue. JPEGs are exclusively Pixels.

Thanks. I was pretty sure I brought JPG's into the previous version to one of the 3 Affinity Apps and it split them into editable layers though. Hmm.!

• Staff

Thanks for the file @TopRobRoy. The EPS file does contain vector data but we aren't able to import it as it is (illustrator proprietary data). Resaving the file in Illustrator in other format (EPS, PDF) will allow you to get the vector data as you'd expect.
I'm converting the file for you and will send it to you trough PM (this seems a commercial file).

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks for the file @TopRobRoy. The EPS file does contain vector data but we aren't able to import it as it is (illustrator proprietary data). Resaving the file in Illustrator in EPS (different settings) or other format (PDF) will allow you to get the vector data as you'd expect.
I'm converting the file for you and will send it to you trough PM (this seems a commercial file).

Thanks for that. Yes it is a commercial file. I've got a licence to use it. So in future I could open it as it is and save as a PDF in order to get the vector data?

• Staff

No, Affinity is not able (nor will be able in future) to open EPS files with embedded proprietary Illustrator data. We only have access to what the native EPS format provides (which is almost nothing, no support for any transparency for example). Unfortunately most EPS files sold in stock sites are all saved as EPS Illustrator compatible files in order to be fully editable/support a wider range of features that the native EPS format doesn't provide.

So to get access to the Illustrator's embedded editable vector data the file must be opened in Illustrator and resaved in a format that Affinity "fully" understand (this is true for other third party vector apps as well).

15 minutes ago, MEB said:

No, Affinity is not able (nor will be able in future) to open EPS files with embedded proprietary Illustrator data. We only have access to what the native EPS format provides (which is almost nothing, no support for any transparency for example). Unfortunately most EPS files sold in stock sites are all saved as EPS Illustrator compatible files in order to be fully editable/support a wider range of features that the native EPS format doesn't provide).

So to get access to the Illustrator's embedded editable vector data the file must be opened in Illustrator and resaved in a format that Affinity "fully" understand (this is true for other third party vector apps as well).

OK. Understand. How about if I take a jpg file then.  Can I open that and then Export to a file type that I can open and get the layers?
Sometimes I can get a PSD file, but I know that works, but it lowers the amount of images I can use natively within Affinity.

• Staff

The JPG format do not support layers nor vector data. It's strictly a raster format (so you only get a single pixel layer). Your best bet is PDF, SVG or the basic/native EPS format. Affinity apps also open Ai files as long as they were saved with a PDF stream (that is, Create PDF Compatible File must be checked when saving the Ai file).

We also support paths in PSD files.