You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I got 2 installations for each product when it should be one

I got 2 installations for each product. I dontt find it normal.

So I have 2 A.Photo, 2 A.Designer, 2 A.Publisher

The first installation is form the download on my account.

but when I went on the microsoft Shop to update, they resulted as not installed. So, convinced that it was normal and that it was writing above the old version (2.04) I did install them. 

As result i got 2 separate A.Photo etc ... how can I fix this issue please? Without risking to remove all the ADD-ON packages

image.png.0db4535be5e325671a505769de54a2a4.png

Sounds like you have installed both the EXE version (from the Affinity Store) and the Microsoft Store version.

You probably want the one from your Affinity Account, so you should be able to simply open the Microsoft Store, and delete the apps from there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

57 minutes ago, Tormy said:

I can't uninstall from it. I think I can remove it form Windows as for my previous screenshot but now: which is what?

In that case, try this:

1. From the Start menu, pick one of them, and note which one you've chosen (1st, or 2nd). Start the application.
  2. Start Task Manager. Find the entry for the application, and expand it. Right-click on the second line of the expanded entry, and choose Open File Location.
  3. You'll get a File Explorer dialog. If it's for the EXE version,  you'll be viewing directories within Program Files, or wherever you chose to install the application. That's probably the one you want to keep.
  4. At that point, you could close the application, and repeat steps 1 & 2 for the other entry, and verify that it is in the WindowsApps directory (or something like that; I haven't looked lately at exactly where Store apps are installed).

That should let you see which one is which, in the Start menu. And you should be able to right-click the one you want to delete there and choose Uninstall.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In that case, try this:

1. From the Start menu, pick one of them, and note which one you've chosen (1st, or 2nd). Start the application.
  2. Start Task Manager. Find the entry for the application, and expand it. Right-click on the second line of the expanded entry, and choose Open File Location.
  3. You'll get a File Explorer dialog. If it's for the EXE version,  you'll be viewing directories within Program Files, or wherever you chose to install the application. That's probably the one you want to keep.
  4. At that point, you could close the application, and repeat steps 1 & 2 for the other entry, and verify that it is in the WindowsApps directory (or something like that; I haven't looked lately at exactly where Store apps are installed).

That should let you see which one is which, in the Start menu. And you should be able to right-click the one you want to delete there and choose Uninstall.

yes I got this

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_201.0.1799.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0\App
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.4.1701_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App

but now how can clean uninstall the one is not wanted without removing all the optional packages I installed? Included the templates I created?

• Staff
3 hours ago, Tormy said:

yes I got this

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_201.0.1799.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0\App
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.4.1701_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App

but now how can clean uninstall the one is not wanted without removing all the optional packages I installed? Included the templates I created?

Uninstalling the apps does not remove locally stored assets, document presets etc. as they are stored in a different local folder dependant on if it's the .MSIX or .MSI app (Info on locations in FAQ below). So if you uninstalled one, you could always copy over the files from the other directory if you noticed certain things were missing.

11 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Uninstalling the apps does not remove locally stored assets, document presets etc. as they are stored in a different local folder dependant on if it's the .MSIX or .MSI app (Info on locations in FAQ below). So if you uninstalled one, you could always copy over the files from the other directory if you noticed certain things were missing.

hello Nathan

i want to remove the ones I got from Microsoft store keeping the ones I got form my account here.
the issue is: how to recognize form the Remove Apps in Windows which one is what? Because I don't see any indication up there.

image.png.930722e34fa9e8751025272e0215a560.png

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Tormy said:

i want to remove the ones I got from Microsoft store keeping the ones I got form my account here.
the issue is: how to recognize form the Remove Apps in Windows which one is what? Because I don't see any indication up there.

I'm on Windows 10 currently so the apps and features settings looks slightly different to your screenshot, but the easiest way I've found to distinguish between the MSI and the MSIX apps is if it offers me the option to 'Move' and 'Advanced options', that is the MSIX (Or Microsoft Store) app, if it just says 'Modify' and gives me no further options other than uninstall that is the MSI/EXE app. If you click on the Ellipsis (...) see what options you're offered.

If it was me (and I don't guarantee this is the best solution!) I would make a backup of the user files - just in case! (as per the location in DanC's linked post above,) then remove all the Affinity apps, then redownload and install the version I wanted from the Affinity store. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

35 minutes ago, NathanC said:

I'm on Windows 10 currently so the apps and features settings looks slightly different to your screenshot, but the easiest way I've found to distinguish between the MSI and the MSIX apps is if it offers me the option to 'Move' and 'Advanced options', that is the MSIX (Or Microsoft Store) app, if it just says 'Modify' and gives me no further options other than uninstall that is the MSI/EXE app. If you click on the Ellipsis (...) see what options you're offered.

it was the first thing I did (Im' on W 11) but on all of them I got "%ove" and "Advanced Options"

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

If it was me (and I don't guarantee this is the best solution!) I would make a backup of the user files - just in case! (as per the location in DanC's linked post above,) then remove all the Affinity apps, then redownload and install the version I wanted from the Affinity store. 

at the end it's what I'm doing .. never more installing any updates from Microsoft Store

Why do you want to remove the apps using Remove Apps, @Tormy?

From my earlier suggestions, you know which app in the Start menu is the one you want to remove. Just right-click on it there, and choose Uninstall.

-- Walt
PC:

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Why do you want to remove the apps using Remove Apps, @Tormy?

From my earlier suggestions, you know which app in the Start menu is the one you want to remove. Just right-click on it there, and choose Uninstall.

because the way W11 is presenting you stuff, it's not so clear. W10 was way more effective.
However I made the backups nd uninstalled all 3 packages and reinstalled them from the website. It worked out.

Microsoft Store should detect if an App is already installed. instead of it doesn't 😕

2 minutes ago, Tormy said:

Microsoft Store should detect if an App is already installed. instead of it doesn't

It's not supposed to be possible to have both the Microsoft Store and Affinity Store MSIX version installed at the same time. 

I wonder, in your case, if it worked because the Affinity Store one was 2.0.4 and the Microsoft Store was 2.1.0. Maybe it's only having exactly the same version installed from both sources that's prevented.

-- Walt
PC:

In the reality in the past I had 2 versions 2.04 as well but it was only in Publisher and I had not any extension on it or template (at that time) so I just uninstalled everything and reinstalled.

I thought it was some temporary malfunction of the store ... but now I got all three applications and on Designer and Photo, I do have templates and several other add ons so I was very worried to perform the same operation. At the end I had not other choice. I was lucky.