You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed not showing correctly PDF (Publisher)

Hello there.

I have been reading, and reading, a lot of complains about the bleed not working/showing properly in PDF. And, also reading a lot of "kind-of-solutions" but the "bug" isn't solved.
It is hard to believe that a software like Publisher doesn't have the Bleed exportation working 100% and being on sales with this problem :/

It is just the bleed! Affinity any easy and fast way to export it correctly?

Thanks!

Edited by Maga_
repeat words

On 5/14/2023 at 7:55 PM, Maga_ said:

I have been reading, and reading, a lot of complains about the bleed not working/showing properly in PDF.

I'm not sure what you have been reading but the pictures you have provided above clearly show the bleed.

Everything beyond the crop marks is a bleed and your pictures clearly illustrate that.

Am I missing something?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 5/14/2023 at 7:55 PM, Maga_ said:

I have been reading, and reading, a lot of complains about the bleed not working/showing properly in PDF. And, also reading a lot of "kind-of-solutions" but the "bug" isn't solved.

Hi @Maga_,

I would have to agree with @Seneca, the screengrabs you've uploaded clearly show the bleed being honoured, though it looks as though the image on the left with the caption 'The right one. Bleed is show on pdf' is perhaps showing a placed pdf which already includes crop marks because there appears to be a small element of existing crop marks shown within the bleed area on that particular screengrab which you wouldn't see on a pdf created solely within Publisher (but maybe I'm wrong)...

To illustrate, here is an A4 (210 mm x 297 mm) document exported with both 3 mm and 6 mm bleed... As @Lee D asks, if you could perhaps elaborate a little or upload a sample document explaining in a little more detail the issue you're seeing, that would be really useful and would help in trying to diagnose the problem...

Publisher Document Exported to PDF with a 3mm bleed (left) and a 6mm bleed (Right)

294004233_BleedComparison.thumb.jpg.cd8570c36ada36aaf3dfb59869471843.jpg

Publisher Document Exported to PDF with a 3mm bleed (left) and a 6mm bleed (Right) - Close up

368132801_BleedComparisonCloseUp.thumb.jpg.2388aada9f4a564e62d8462aec89cc55.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Thank you bot for helping me! :)

Maybe I am explaining it wrong.

The one I wrote "right one", the crop marks are "inside" the red background, on the other no. This is what I am trying to figure out to do. The crop marks passing the bleed. Both files were made in Publisher.

Was I clear now? 

Thanks again.

11 minutes ago, Maga_ said:

Thank you bot for helping me! :)

That’s the first time I’ve been called a bot but hey… 😂

14 minutes ago, Maga_ said:

The one I wrote "right one", the crop marks are "inside" the red background, on the other no.

I think we’re clearly misunderstanding your perspective here in as much as the crop marks should be “inside” the red background but I think it would really help and avoid a lot of back and forth speculation if you could perhaps upload a sample Publisher file that demonstrates the issue you’re seeing, without that we’re all slightly guessing… 🤔

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

I have to say that both the PDF and AFPUB files show the bleed as I would expect it. Like your screenshot.

122645129_ScreenShot2023-05-16at12_58_03PM.png.cf8dfe8239eb4f5b781cceb804a91223.png

The screenshot you supplied with the way you want it to be appears to be very carefully hand made. There is a gap on the trim marks that match up with something on the actual bleed.

1375032525_ScreenShot2023-05-16at12_58_50PM.png.10728b5a78012ab166f1357461bbcc60.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @Maga_,

Thank you for the files you uploaded... I'm still unsure what you are expecting to see here, the bleed is correct, it is both working and showing exactly as it should be...

• Your Publisher document is 130 mm x 180 mm with a 3mm bleed
  • This means including the 3 mm bleed your Red Rectangle would ideally be 136 mm x 186 mm (i.e., an additional 3 mm on each side of your document
  • In practice your Red Rectangle is offset in the X axis by -3.302 mm and the Y axis by -3.090333 mm and is 136.821333 mm x 186.139667 mm in size which isn't an issue.

The pdf you uploaded showing the printers marks correctly shows the 3 mm bleed along with the crop marks indicating where the document would be trimmed after printing, i.e, anything outside the crop marks would be trimmed so the finished print will be the same as the document size, i.e., 130 mm x 180 mm in the same way as the example posted above, where when trimmed both the file showing the 3 mm and 6 mm bleed would be trimmed leaving only the orange section, cutting off the red section in the 3 mm bleed example and both the blue and red sections in the 6 mm example.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you feel is wrong or missing here... In your intial screengrabs 'The right one. Bleed is show on pdf' seems to include a slightly more Magenta colour in the top left corner which doesn't appear on the Publisher file you've kindly uploaded so I think we're all trying to understand what it is you are expecting to see which you feel you're not actually seeing in respect of the bleed in relation to the crop marks.

Everything you've uploaded so far indicates that the bleed is 100% correct and exactly as we'd expect to see... but maybe we are all missing something here...

It may help if, with your Publisher document, you go to the View Menu and then select View Mode > Clip to Canvas. That way you will see exactly how your document will be trimmed in relation to the crop marks...

Again, thank you for trying to help me.

1. Yes the original file has 3mm bleed
2. Yes to the magenta - two different files, on the magenta I got what I am trying to, the other one, no.

Everything you've uploaded so far indicates that the bleed is 100% correct and exactly as we'd expect to see... but maybe we are all missing something here...

No, maybe it is me 😇
I suspect that I'm really not being able to explain myself correctly.

Before using Publisher, every time I export the file to PDF print, I checked the bleed and crop marks and the PDF went on like the print screen of "the right one".
Sending two old PDFs made in IDesign: so I am trying to have the crop marks touching the background.

I am very afraid that the book will be printed with white around, but if you say all it is good, so I trust :)

Captura de ecrã 2023-05-16, às 21.56.23.png

Captura de ecrã 2023-05-16, às 21.56.00.png

You are just seeing the difference between the way InDesign and Publisher display crop marks, your file and the bleed you’ve set are correct…

The crop marks created when exporting a pdf from Publisher won’t ever touch the background as they do in an InDesign exported pdf but I now completely understand what you were trying to demonstrate…

Basically as long as your background is larger than your document to the tune of 3 mm on each side you will be absolutely fine, the 3 mm bleed should provide sufficient tolerance when the printed document is trimmed but if in any doubt whatsoever then have a conversation with the printing company and ask them to confirm they are happy with the pdf you’ve supplied to them before they print your book to give yourself complete peace of mind and to confirm that a 3mm bleed is all they require… 🙂

You’re very welcome, I hope your book looks amazing once printed and if in any doubt about anything just ask the printing company to clarify…