You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any tricks on using the Transform Origin?

Does anyone know any tricks on using the Transform Origin?  On a busy drawing or one with a lot of blue it is lost.  I can usually find it when it is in the center, but after it's been moved I frequently have to give up using it because I just can't find it.  Is there maybe a keystroke that will place it back in the center of the object?  According to Help the symbol can be double clicked to do this, but if the problem is it can't be found then that's useless.  Or maybe to auto pan to center the icon in the middle of the screen?

Almost anything would be helpful.  I find it can be a useful tool, but I don't use it much because of the lost time searching for it.

I use it mostly in Designer, but have had the same problem in Photo.

Thanks for any input.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Most often it helps to zoom in/out to make specific UI items more obvious while these elements don't scale with zooming, so they appear relatively larger when you zoom out. For instance zoom out for the text overflow indicators or zoom in to get the text-flow markers in small text frames.

Zooming out also works with the Transform Origin marker. – If colour is an issue for the blue UI items then a temporary HSL adjustment can help. For instance:

Another option is to colourize the UI items. Therefore you must create a Layer layer -> choose via the right-click menu its -> properties and define a wanted -> colour and nest the relevant objects in this Layer.

338372207_transformoriginvisibilityLayercolour1.jpg.d4b242a23028e12962256ce06ec78adf.jpg

1365757368_transformoriginvisibilityLayercolour2.jpg.da07446f7f2a7ed2f747bda9d06e3ffe.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

14 hours ago, Gear maker said:

On a busy drawing or one with a lot of blue it is lost.  I can usually find it when it is in the center, but after it's been moved I frequently have to give up using it because I just can't find it. 

The transform panel will have its location. This rectangle is centred at 5.5 and 4.25 inches.

100605557_ScreenShot2023-05-12at7_40_35AM.png.882e6085400cdfe55bf868eddf70f3eb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Toggling (click on button off, click on button on, off, on, ...) - the change of state (display of the icon, extinguishing of the icon) is always reflected.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The transform panel will have its location. This rectangle is centred at 5.5 and 4.25 inches.

Why didn't I think of that.  It only makes sense.  I shall give that a try next time.  Thank you.

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Toggling (click on button off, click on button on, off, on, ...) - the change of state (display of the icon, extinguishing of the icon) is always reflected.

But it's so small.  on a 27" screen it's only about 0.08" in diameter.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try.

21 hours ago, thomaso said:

Another option is to colourize the UI items. Therefore you must create a Layer layer -> choose via the right-click menu its -> properties and define a wanted -> colour and nest the relevant objects in this Layer.

Thomaso, the first couple things are some of what I have tried.  And they usually are more labor intensive than just not using the transform origin in the first place.  With the exception of doing a power duplicate.  I try to have it where that is my only use of the origin, seeing as it's not really replaceable there.  I tried the colorizing and the origin stayed blue but I had tried using the preselected tab colors listed at the bottom of the right click menu.  So it never worked.  I just tried clicking on the Properties to change the color and sure enough the origin changed.  And the color of the bounding box, paths and nodes.  Yahoo that is a great one to remember.  I always thought the preset color tabs should do that.  Thanks for the info.