You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 2.0.4 Clone Brush Tool hardness setting slider grayed out

Hello. Suddenly today the hardness slider for the Clone Brush Tool became grayed out and not adjustable. I tried two or three different brushes. I reset the brushes. The screenshot attached is with the Basic brushes selected. I sure want to avoid deleting and reinstalling Photo v2.0.4 if anyone has a suggestion.

BTW, I also have v2.1.0.1742 (beta) installed, and the Clone Brush Tool hardness slider works correctly with the beta. TIA!

Clone Brush Tool.png

Brush Hardness in V2 is only adjustable by the user for certain brushes, typically the Basic brushes, I think.

In V1 it was apparently adjustable for other brushes, but actually had no effect. That bug was fixed in V2 by removing the ability to try to adjust it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Brush Hardness in V2 is only adjustable by the user for certain brushes, typically the Basic brushes, I think.

In V1 it was apparently adjustable for other brushes, but actually had no effect. That bug was fixed in V2 by removing the ability to try to adjust it.

Thanks, but on my MacBook with the Basic brush selected and in v2.0.4, I could adjust the hardness, and it had a definite effect. It just suddenly stopped working today. And as I mentioned, it still works with v2.1.0.1742 (beta) on the same machine. I guess I will have to delete and reinstall v2.0.4 or maybe just stay 100% with the beta. Something broke or I have some accidental weird setting somewhere.

BTW, with the Mask brush selected, the hardness is not adjustable, and I have selected that brush for actions at times, but I have the Basic brush selected now.

24 minutes ago, jdvoracek said:

It just suddenly stopped working today

To confirm: you have selected the Clone Brush Tool, switched to the Brushes panel, and chosen a Basic brush? But at that point Hardness is not available to be adjusted?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

To confirm: you have selected the Clone Brush Tool, switched to the Brushes panel, and chosen a Basic brush? But at that point Hardness is not available to be adjusted?

Thanks. EXACTLY. No hardness adjust/slider in 2.0.4 but works in 2.1.0.1742 (beta). Thinking I will need to uninstall/reinstall 2.0.4...

no hardness adjust.jpg

Hardness adjust for Basic brushes for the Clone Brush Tool in 2.0.4 works fine for me on my Mac running Catalina. Is it possible you have added some non-basic brushes to that Brushes category, either in AP or in one of the other Affinity apps if the Basic category is linked to one of them?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

59 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Hardness adjust for Basic brushes for the Clone Brush Tool in 2.0.4 works fine for me on my Mac running Catalina. Is it possible you have added some non-basic brushes to that Brushes category, either in AP or in one of the other Affinity apps if the Basic category is linked to one of them?

Right, until today it worked for me also. I've reset the Brushes at least twice. I've not reset anything else. I was hoping to avoid a more major reset and/or uninstall/reinstall, but I fear I am headed that way. The only other Affinity app I have is a recent Photo beta install, but I was basically just using 2.0.4. Some setting somewhere got messed up. Objects/methods, etc., can have strange gremlins tucked away. I'll update this later when I have a resolution (I hope). Thanks!

At your step 2 in the screenshot above, did you actually select a brush? It's not enough to select the category.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @jdvoracek,

Can you please close your Affinity Photo 2 then go to the following location in Finder and rename the raster_brushes.propcol and copy the one attached into this location and let me know if you have the same issue with the clone tool.

~/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/

raster_brushes.propcol

44 minutes ago, DWright said:

Can you please close your Affinity Photo 2 then go to the following location in Finder and rename the raster_brushes.propcol and copy the one attached into this location and let me know if you have the same issue with the clone tool.

~/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/

That fixed it! Did something get corrupted therein? BTW, resetting the brushes previously did not fix it.

BTW, I attached that file I replaced in case it's of any diagnostic use to you.

raster_brushes.propcol

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with apparent presets on brush hardness wIith V2 and V2 Beta for Windows.  Grayed out and locked at hardness levels from 79% to 100% depending on the brush.  I've looked for files with the names above and cannot find them using search for various terms in File Explorer.  Have one last running.

Is this for MAC?  Is there a Windows equivalent?

If not what would be a complete location?

I found it.  C:\users\username\.affinity\common\2.0\user

I had earlier downloaded a brush pack.  The hardness appears to be set for some of those brushes.  Hardness is adjustable for Basic Brush.

Edited by greenerl2
Update on origina

20 hours ago, greenerl2 said:

I had earlier downloaded a brush pack.  The hardness appears to be set for some of those brushes.  Hardness is adjustable for Basic Brush.

Have you resolved the problem? It's unclear to me from your post.

If not, please note that as stated above, Hardness is only adjustable for some brushes. Specifically, as far as I can see, for Round brushes.

Hardness seemed to be adjustable in V1, but the adjustment had no effect except for Round brushes. So, in V2, they locked the adjustment except for the brushes where it can have an effect.

-- Walt
PC:

Walt, yes I have resolved the issue.  Some brushes have fixed, non-adjustable hardness.  In my early troubleshooting I tried fixed hardness brushes.  The basic brush and others allow adjustment.  My fault for not trying every brush.

Minor issue was where affinity hides it's program files in Windows.  

Thanks for the help here.  I learned more about how Affinity works.