You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for macOS - 1.10.1 [SPLIT]

On 8/24/2021 at 4:14 PM, Patrick Connor said:

this link (that installer is NOT for Mac App Store purchases and needs a product key).

I have bought "Publisher 1" (and "Designer 1") from the appstore. I highly regret that decision now that I found out that APPLE claims for itself the right to cut off the customer's download access to their purchases at any time they please.

Therefore, I am searching for a standalone installer that comes directly from SerifLabs. I would be willing to pay for another licence. But it must be "Publisher 1" (and "Designer 1") because Version 2 is not supported by my operating system. For half a decade, MacOS has been getting worse and worse with every update.

So my question is this: Where can I buy a product key to use the installers that you have listed under the link above?

Apple changes their terms and conditions from time to time to which you must agree every time anew in order to be able to access your purchases from the appstore. The current version is to be found here: https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

Some awful passages that we had in the last year (i didn't agree with them and hence could not access my purchases) do not appear here anymore, but still, as you may read under the link:

"It is your responsibility not to lose, destroy, or damage Content once downloaded. We encourage you to back up your Content regularly."

"Purchased Content will generally remain available for you to download, redownload, or otherwise access from Apple. Though it is unlikely, subsequent to your purchase, Content may be removed from the Services (for instance, because the provider removed it) and become unavailable for further download or access from Apple. To ensure your ability to continue enjoying Content, we encourage you to download all purchased Content to a device in your possession and to back it up."

Note this "for instance" in "for instance, because the provider removed it". It is not necessary that the provider (in this case SerifLabs) removes the download. The software may just disappear for whatever reason and there's nothing you can do.

And remember that these terms and conditions have been revised in the past, and hence are more than likely to be coninued to be revised in the future. And every time when that happens, you lose the access to your purchases for as long as you don't agree with the new conditions.

Edited by Bangzhu

41 minutes ago, Bangzhu said:

So what can I do in order to buy an Affinity 1 (Designer / Publisher etc.) licence?  The serif-webstore only shows version 2...

You cannot buy a new license for v1 as it is no longer available for sale. But if you already have a license for v1 that you purchased from the Apple App Store then you can just download it again from the Purchases section of the store - the downloads are still available to those who purchased it. Just open the App Store and then click your name to see the software you have downloaded and purchased.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@Bangzhu

Just to add one important detail to what @MikeTO has written:  In order to access your version 1 software in the Mac App Store you must ensure you log in there using the identical username to the one you used when you originally purchased the apps.  Purchases of, and any subsequent redownloads of apps are forever linked to the account used to make the purchase.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

2 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

which would also violate the eula.

I think there are areas of the world where that provision of the EULA is not enforceable, and where once a user has purchased something, they are free to sell it regardless of any licensing terms.

But yes, it would remain tied to the original email address, and the original Affinity Store account, as that cannot be changed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Bangzhu

Speaking entirely for myself I completely fail to understand why you cannot access your AppStore account and so redownload the software you have already purchased!

Re-reading this thread, it seems you have some sort of "disagreement" with Apple's Terms and Conditions and that it is this disagreement that is causing you to not be able to access your software.  Is that correct?

If it is, as has been made quite clear to you, there is nothing anyone who posts here, not even Serif staff, can do to directly help you, sorry.  

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@Bangzhu: Are you perhaps in China? There is another user who has reported difficulties with the Mac App Store in China no longer allowing access to the V1 applications.

But just to make sure, can you give us some more information, please?

1. Open the App Store application, make sure you're logged-in using the same Apple ID you used for the original purchase.
  2. Click on your name or icon to open the Account section.
  3. There should be an entry for Purchased programs.
  4. Show us a screenshot of that list, in the area where Affinity Designer would be located.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Bangzhu

Speaking entirely for myself I completely fail to understand why you cannot access your AppStore account and so redownload the software you have already purchased!

Re-reading this thread, it seems you have some sort of "disagreement" with Apple's Terms and Conditions and that it is this disagreement that is causing you to not be able to access your software.  Is that correct?

I can access the appstore and I can access the download there. I have agreed to the terms and conditions since they have been improved. Last year they were inacceptable and hence I was unable to access my purchases.

For that reason:

I would be willing  to buy the product again via the website of serif labs in order to use a standalone installer so that I am no longer dependent on the appstore.

5 minutes ago, Bangzhu said:

I can access the appstore and I can access the download there. I have agreed to the terms and conditions since they have been improved. Last year they were unacceptable and hence I was unable to access my purchases. For that reason:

I would be willing  to buy the product again via the website of serif labs in order to use a standalone installer so that I am no longer dependent on the appstore.

Thanks for that clarification.

As long as you're willing to purchase again, why not simply purchase V2, which is what is currently available for purchase?

-- Walt
PC: