You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer .42 PDF Page Box Selector not working correctly

This appears to be working correctly on macOS, which OS are you working on?

Are you able to upload a sample pdf showing the problem?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi dcarvalho84,

Do you get the same results with the attached PDF? The PDF has a BleedBox (set to the Bleed area) and TrimBox (set to the Margin area), with CropBox and ArtBox being set to show the whole document.

In Designer selecting either Bleed or Trim will change the option on the menu, but setting any of the others will go back to what was previously set, which is likely Trim, and I think what you're seeing? It is also failing to show the area correctly as well.

Like you this is both working and displaying correctly in Publisher!

boxArea.pdf

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi dcarvalho84,

Do you get the same results with the attached PDF? The PDF has a BleedBox (set to the Bleed area) and TrimBox (set to the Margin area), with CropBox and ArtBox being set to show the whole document.

In Designer selecting either Bleed or Trim will change the option on the menu, but setting any of the others will go back to what was previously set, which is likely Trim, and I think what you're seeing? It is also failing to show the area correctly as well.

Like you this is both working and displaying correctly in Publisher!

boxArea.pdf 78.64 kB · 2 downloads

Yes, same results. Not displaying correctly. Sometimes it show the whole document in trimbox... not okay, but it's working in Publisher.

HI @Sean P,

I'm curious, is the boxArea.pdf file set up to deliberately display incorrectly by way of demonstration, as in, your Publisher file uses an additional oversized blue rectangle with a width of 398.014472 mm and a height of 294.354956 mm on every page which is then masked to the bleed dimensions for the document, although the mask may have been created automatically when the file was exported to pdf.

This additional blue rectangle subsequently overlaps successive pages in the Publisher file thereby causing the exported pdf to display incorrectly in Designer, though strangely not in Publisher or any pdf review software.

Deleting both the blue rectangle (which serves no obvious purpose) and mask from each page of your Publisher document and re-exporting to pdf with the same printers marks results in a file that displays correctly in Designer and allows for correct use of the Page Box dropdown options...

Is the additional blue rectangle effectively demonstrating a bug or is it there for a different reason for its inclusion?

1222373178_BlueRectangle.thumb.jpg.da4cb9422c7c6b1a8e0d4199fa215db7.jpg

boxArea revised.pdf

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

4 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Yes, same results. Not displaying correctly. Sometimes it show the whole document in trimbox... not okay, but it's working in Publisher.

Are you able to upload your original file so we can take a look, I'm curious to see if it demonstrates the same issues as @Sean P's file...

16 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Sorry. I can't because it's a client file. But is acting weirdly as the one Sean have posted. But it is working okay in Publisher.

No problem, completely understand, can I ask where or how the pdf file in question was created, is it an external file that's been provided to you or a file you've created yourself?

If you open @Sean P's boxArea.pdf file in Publisher or Designer (rather than placing it) and take a look at the construction of the file you can hopefully see the issue mentioned in my previous post that appears to be causing the problem. What I'm thinking is, if you take a look at the pdf file causing issues for yourself you may see something similar which you can correct.

If you likewise place the pdf file I added in my previous post, boxArea revised.pdf in Designer, which is @Sean P's file edited (as described in the previous post), hopefully you'll see everything now working correctly though let me know if that's not the case...

33 minutes ago, Hangman said:

No problem, completely understand, can I ask where or how the pdf file in question was created, is it an external file that's been provided to you or a file you've created yourself?

If you open @Sean P's boxArea.pdf file in Publisher or Designer (rather than placing it) and take a look at the construction of the file you can hopefully see the issue mentioned in my previous post that appears to be causing the problem. What I'm thinking is, if you take a look at the pdf file causing issues for yourself you may see something similar which you can correct.

If you likewise place the pdf file I added in my previous post, boxArea revised.pdf in Designer, which is @Sean P's file edited (as described in the previous post), hopefully you'll see everything now working correctly though let me know if that's not the case...

It happened with files coming from Illustrator and coming from Canva...

I've done a quick test with your file. Curiously the first time the same problem was there and app hanged up. So i've closed it and done a test with your file and Sean file.

One interesting thing. Look at the context toolbar. Yours appear as Spread to change page numbers on the left, and Sean appear as Artboard on the right 🤔.

22 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

It happened with files coming from Illustrator and coming from Canva...

Without seeing how the file has been constructed (which I appreciate you can't share here), it's difficult to know whether there is anything specific causing the issue or whether this is simply a bug in Designer...

26 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

One interesting thing. Look at the context toolbar. Yours appear as Spread to change page numbers on the left, and Sean appear as Artboard on the right 🤔.

This appears to be a discrepancy between Designer and Publisher, if you place Sean's file into a Publisher document it shows as a Spread as well... According to the metadata for Sean's file it was 'created' or at least, exported from Publisher but I'm unsure if it was originally created in Designer as Artboards prior to being edited in Publisher before exporting as a pdf, I'm sure Sean will be able to enlighten us... :)

FWIW, placing Sean's pdf in Designer V1.10 it fails to display correctly but in a different manner to placing it in V2 in as much as in V1 the Bleed Box isn't respected and every Page Box option simply scales the graphic to a different size rather than displaying the correct Page Box though I suspect that is due to the way the Bleed Box has been created in the source file...

9 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Without seeing how the file has been constructed (which I appreciate you can't share here), it's difficult to know whether there is anything specific causing the issue or whether this is simply a bug in Designer...

This appears to be a discrepancy between Designer and Publisher, if you place Sean's file into a Publisher document it shows as a Spread as well... According to the metadata for Sean's file it was 'created' or at least, exported from Publisher but I'm unsure if it was originally created in Designer as Artboards prior to being edited in Publisher before exporting as a pdf, I'm sure Sean will be able to enlighten us... :)

FWIW, placing Sean's pdf in Designer V1.10 it fails to display correctly but in a different manner to placing it in V2 in as much as in V1 the Bleed Box isn't respected and every Page Box option simply scales the graphic to a different size rather than displaying the correct Page Box though I suspect that is due to the way the Bleed Box has been created in the source file...

Unfortunately i can't give much more info... The strange thing is that it's working ok with the "problematic" pdf files in Publisher.

I have to assume it’s perhaps a Designer issue or bug since the file displays correctly in pdf viewers and the respective Page Boxes are correctly shown in pdf pre press software…

@seanpI'm having problems when placing your boxarea.pdf too, at least in Designer. It seems to place fine in Publisher and I can select all the various boxes. 

In Designer, I can't select Media box, Cropbox or Artbox. I am able to select Trim, Bleed, Min and Max boxes, but all four of them all lop off some of the image, notably on the top and left sides.

I'm using Designer and Publisher v2.0.4. on a MacBook Pro, 15", 2017 running Ventura 13.2.1. Just wanted to chime in here, as it doesn't seem to be isolated to the OP. 

EDIT: The above was in Interpret Mode. I get similar results with PassThrough, but different areas of the original are cut off. Same choices as far as the various boxes are concerned. Sorry for the omission.

Edited by Ldina
Extra Info

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

• Staff
15 hours ago, Hangman said:

HI @Sean P,

I'm curious, is the boxArea.pdf file set up to deliberately display incorrectly by way of demonstration, as in, your Publisher file uses an additional oversized blue rectangle with a width of 398.014472 mm and a height of 294.354956 mm on every page which is then masked to the bleed dimensions for the document, although the mask may have been created automatically when the file was exported to pdf.

This additional blue rectangle subsequently overlaps successive pages in the Publisher file thereby causing the exported pdf to display incorrectly in Designer, though strangely not in Publisher or any pdf review software.

Deleting both the blue rectangle (which serves no obvious purpose) and mask from each page of your Publisher document and re-exporting to pdf with the same printers marks results in a file that displays correctly in Designer and allows for correct use of the Page Box dropdown options...

Is the additional blue rectangle effectively demonstrating a bug or is it there for a different reason for its inclusion?

Hi Hangman,

It was actually Gabe who created the file, so I asked him and he said the blue box was placed exceeding the bleed area and was used to ensure that area was to be clipped to the bleed bounds and not visible outside it, so it does have a purpose. The PDF just crops the entire thing to the bleed area so that is working as intended.

I noticed in your revised PDF that you only included 1 page, and not all 5 - it is actually this reason that it displays correctly. If you have a PDF with bleed set, that contains more than 1 page, that is where it is going wrong. 

I've created a brand new 2 page doc in Publisher with 15mm bleed. Red rectangle extends to the bleed, and a green one inside the page. If I export a single page with bleed it displays correct when placed in Designer. If I export all pages and place it displays incorrectly.

I will get this logged :) 

2PageDocBleed_1Page.pdf 2PageDocBleed_AllPage.pdf 2PageDocBleed.afpub

Hi Sean,

27 minutes ago, Sean P said:

I noticed in your revised PDF that you only included 1 page, and not all 5 - it is actually this reason that it displays correctly. If you have a PDF with bleed set, that contains more than 1 page, that is where it is going wrong.

Okay, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying... :)

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Multi Page PDFs with Bleed fail to display correctly when placed." (REF: AFD-6559) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1870".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.