You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform Panel - Origin Point Doesn't Reflect Selection Change

_Th

When using the transform panel to select a point of origin for scaling, etc., the selected or active point isn't highlighted correctly.

The top/left default is larger and solid white, but when you select any other point, the size of the point changes, but not the color.

I believe the expected behavior is that both the size and color would change to indicate the selected origin, and that would work.

However, I would love it if the highlight color (used here and other parts of the UI) was user selectable in settings.

Hopefully this isn't a re-post; searched, didn't find the same issue. Thanks.

Affects: v2 and beta, all three apps
Hardware Acceleration: Enabled (no change without)

transform-panel-origin-point-highlight.png.82e67effd21bd4bccd997c0259d74aca.png

I must agree that it would make sense for the colour to change as well as the size.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

10 hours ago, _Th said:

I believe the expected behavior is that both the size and color would change to indicate the selected origin

That’s an incorrect interpretation. The larger square indicates the origin for rotation, scaling and shearing/skewing; the white square indicates orientation.

Affinity Designer Help: Transform panel

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

The larger square indicates the origin for rotation, scaling and shearing/skewing; the white square indicates orientation.

Thanks, good to know. I actually did look at the help entry for the Transform Panel, but didn't (and still don't) see anything indicating this. Having a separate indicator for the orientation/rotation could definitely be useful.

IMHO the UI is confusing though since the more important indicator, the currently-selected point, is less visually prominent. At a minimum, they compete for attention.

Perhaps if the two were separated it would be more intuitive...

transform-panel-origin-point-highlight--alternative.png.dad7cbe3ba24b287c3998f5cbd98a6e3.png

(Sorry, the second image should have indicated 45deg rotation. My bad.)

10 hours ago, _Th said:

(Sorry, the second image should have indicated 45deg rotation. My bad.)

I think you mean -45°, not +45°, but point taken! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

W 2017 roku złożyłem propozycję zmiany koloru punktu na niebieski w panelu Przekształć (i inne propozycje) na tym forum. Gdyby nie zmieniło się to od 6 lat, nie liczyłbym na to.
Chociaż w ostatniej wersji Beta błędy i zmiany zostały wprowadzone przez Serif.

5a0f8b4b679cf_PROPOZYCJEAFFINITY.png.4ed21b8d980e2bb4a2c6eb2fdb1a9e1b.png

image.png.a242e322b1a9bd481900216b3b0af782.png

11 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

In 2017, I submitted a proposal to change the color of the point to blue ... If it hasn't changed in 6 years, I wouldn't count on it.

[slightly off topic...]

Being somewhat new here, I wonder if anyone feels like the Affinity folks are beginning to be more responsive? I have read comments like this quite a number of times here, but it seems to me (or, at least, I want it to seem) that they're finally taking feedback like this more seriously and/or implementing changes quicker than before. Maybe, hopefully, there's been an influx of cash with v2 that's resulted in more developers, and some with actual chops in design and publishing at that.

My position on all things Affinity remains unchanged:

1. Great value; you get a lot for the price.
  2. A much improved product over v1. There's a long way to go, but recent progress is encouraging.
  3. Standardized/professional workflow issues remain a stumbling block to greater sales and industry adoption.
  4. Sometimes too much attention paid on new features before addressing #2. (A universal challenge for every software company.)
  5. Happy to have the Affinity suite available by the traditional purchase model. Will not return to renting software from Adobe ever again. This is a need that Serif (or someone) will always need to fill.