You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please make circles round

A reminder to make circles round!
Now there is, according to Affinity, an approximation of circle using Bezier curves.

Also be great with ability to select layers when zoomed in extra. Often not possible to select, unless zooming back out, which may lose the separation of each element.

You can get a perfectly round circle by using more than 4 nodes.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

25 minutes ago, Darner said:

A reminder to make circles round!
Now there is, according to Affinity, an approximation of circle using Bezier curves.

Also be great with ability to select layers when zoomed in extra. Often not possible to select, unless zooming back out, which may lose the separation of each element.

Not sure what you mean by ‘make circles round’?

iPad Mini 6.  256GB. My GoTo design platform.

M2 Mac Mini. 24GB. LG 4K Monitor. + Samsung Monitor 2.

Windows 10 Toshiba. Windows 11 Parallels on Mac.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

@Affinity-Inspiration on YouTube.

You can also make a perfect circle by dragging out a circle eclipse then setting its width & height in transform to equal sizes. Easy? I must be missing something

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

1 minute ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Not sure what you mean by ‘make circles round’?

The dev people it's meant for will know what this means.
Harry, not sure what your question is. The Ellipse tool does not make 100% round circle. A feedback for dev team primarily.

2 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

You can also make a perfect circle by dragging out a circle eclipse then setting its width & height in transform to equal sizes. Easy? I must be missing something

Harry. You're missing the fact that a circle should be a circle originally, and your method you think works, is not a solution for this specific topic. There is no need for you to continue posting here if you don't understand this topic

7 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

This issue is not so visible to the naked eye or basic designs, so I understand you might be confused on what this means. But in more advanced techniques it will be noticeable, but unfortunately not going into all the details of different designs in this post. Just letting you know.

Not quite back in my corner yet…

To quote from a previous post someone put up,
“Almost means that in all tests using up to 256.000^2 pixel canvas size the deviation of radius while rotating this circle was smaller than 1 pixel. The regular ellipse based circle causes a deviation of up to 12,7px at 65536 px canvas, or 1/5000 or 0,2 *10^-3”

ok. That’s pretty small for a deviation. I’m curious to know where I’d need to make a circle ️ truer than that. Medicine engineering? Space engineering, perhaps, where no one will be using Affinity I suspect?

• Staff

Hi @Darner,
Thank you for your feedback/report. The circle issue is already logged with development as you seem to be aware. I've bumped the internal report.
Regarding the second point about the ability to select layers when zoomed in can you give an example/post a file that show the issue? It's not clear to me to what you are referring to. Thank you.

2 hours ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Not quite back in my corner yet…

To quote from a previous post someone put up,
“Almost means that in all tests using up to 256.000^2 pixel canvas size the deviation of radius while rotating this circle was smaller than 1 pixel. The regular ellipse based circle causes a deviation of up to 12,7px at 65536 px canvas, or 1/5000 or 0,2 *10^-3”

ok. That’s pretty small for a deviation. I’m curious to know where I’d need to make a circle ️ truer than that. Medicine engineering? Space engineering, perhaps, where no one will be using Affinity I suspect?

"HarryMcGovern", you obviously do not have the knowledge nor intention to understand the matter of this post, as it's not about "the visual of a singular circle" as you obviously believe.

Bit shame that you use this forum to continue posting nonsense to the extent of petty provocation, by sarcastically referring to "space- and medicine engineering". Not sure what you're trying to achieve here "Harry", other than bickering.
Perhaps forums like Reddit is more suited for your needs, and suggest you'll leave this post.
Thank you.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Regarding the second point about the ability to select layers when zoomed in can you give an example/post a file that show the issue? It's not clear to me to what you are referring to. Thank you.

When zooming in bit extra to select a layer, having multiple layers on top of each other, not fully aligned.
Stops being able to select any layer around 8000%. Normally not a big thing, but sometimes can come in handy and enhance workflow with multiple layers intertwining.
Hope this made more sense. Pls let me know if further elaboration is needed.