You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

installing Nik collection problems

I already had the 'Nik Collection' installed on my Mac and I am using Affinity Photo2.  There was no problems with it until…  I was working on an image and I wanted to use the  Nik's ~ "Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpening" on it.  However, when I selected it from the Filters drop down I was alerted that there was a New Version/update & asked did I want to update now?   Yes. I decided to install it & because a similar alert had happened before when selecting 'Silver Efex Pro 3' from the drop down and so couldn't see a problem.

However… since deciding yes to the update I have been unable to install the new version of Nik Collection and have in fact lost the ability to use any of the Nik software.   ~   I follow this pathway  > > Settings >>Photoshop Plugins >> I add the Folder (where I have stored the Nike collection) to the Plugin Search Folders box >> I have the  same Folder showing in the Plugin Support Folders Box >> I Click on Close >>  A pop up box allows me to restart the program  >> I click Restart >> when it reopens >> I open up the same image That I was working on >>Go to Filters >> Plugins >> &…There's Nothing There!  I've tried it so so many times and used several variations  but still I cannot get any of the Nik Collection to show up in the Filters >> Plugins menu ~ 

If any one know's what I'm doing wrong  or can give me some help or advice please let me know.  T.I.A.

& Yes, I have raised it with Nik but so far… although they have received my request for support on the matter nothing else has transpired.

I can't help you with your problem, but had one of my own that I have not had a chance to explore.   I did the same as you, and the plugin opened, but the fonts were so tiny I couldn't read them and the drop-down menus were scrambled so I gave up in frustration.

Larry

Check after updating some NIK tools, via the above referenced "NIK Collection + OS X overview", if the versions are supported and if they still meet/match compatibility.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

A long shot, but I'm just wondering if you have any security software installed, which may have identified NIK (falsely) as a threat and disabled it?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Hiya PaulEC  & thanks for your contribution…At this stage even 'Long Shots' could be good shots.  However I'm not a boffin on the iMac and so… I'm now left wondering how to check your suggestion out.   If it's possible could you give me a kinda step-by-step walk through on how to find out if has been falsely identified.  ~ Thanks again 😉

Well. if it is connected to security software you just need to open whatever app you use and look for a log, which should tell you if it has quarantined or deleted any files. If it has, there should be an option to tell it to allow the app (NIK in this case) to install. As I said, it is a long shot, so I'd tend to only pursue this as a last resort!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

nik-plugins.jpg.ce0f4da61369ccd19cf566343ae42b33.jpg

In my case I reuse my old installment from inside of PSE, the "Plugin Search Folder" path looks like ...

• /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 12/Support Files/Plug-Ins/Google

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well I honestly do not know what happened.  I decided to delete & uninstall absolutely everything connected with Nik Collection. I also shut down & Restarted my Mac. Then I went through the whole installing Nik Collection process one more time. I followed every step, just like I'd done before, including clicking on the Authorise Global box.

Next I opened up Affinity 2 but I didn't open up an image like I'd continually done on all of my other attempts. Then, I went to the Filters tab >>Plugins >> & BINGO! there it was Nik Collection with everything intact.  I selected put put sharpener, which was the one that started this whole ~ 'can't find the feckin thing!' off.  I seriously do not know How I did it or why it happened in the first place but thought it best to write it all down just incase any one else has a similar problem.   A Big Thanks to those who offered help to me.. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I ve searched for few hours on how to install ink Collection version 5 with Affinity photo. I finally found a solution by following process on a DXO help page. It looks important to declare a Custom path in the installation path during the Nik Collection Installation, otherwise, Affinity photo is not allowed to read and launch Plugins (On my Mac at least)

I give you the link here to the installation documentation for windows and Mac

https://userguides.dxo.com/nikcollection/en/setup-and-installation/

be careful to this Image to illustrate my post

image.png.422415ee78f01ef0eda22cd359299291.png

Thanks Zolive  taking the time out to to show me what's been going wrong.  I did in the end figure it all out but doing so without the insight that you have so thanks again and I hope any others who have this problem will be rewarded by your post ~ 😉

• 1 month later...

I have been through the uninstall and install of Nik Collection several times in Affinity 2 and cannot get it to show up.

I have followed the DxO instructions closely - including the Host Application Adobe Photoshop custom 1 but I still can't see it in Affinity.

56 minutes ago, Ian Greig said:

Nik Collection several times in Affinity 2 and cannot get it to show up

what version of Nik are you using?

AP2 or AP2.1?

Mac or Windows?

Nik6 doesn't work with AP2.1 but the new update released Nik 6.1.0 does work with AP2.1

I'm using AP2.1 & I currently have a 'Support Assistance Number ' up and running with DxO. I suggest you and anyone else who is having this problem to contact DxO's Support Assistance and raise your own number, which will hopefully spur them on & get them to fix the problem.  The more Numbers that are raised the better.  

Their latest contact with me (4 Day's ago) said that… "the issue appears to be Affinity's doing and that they 'do not yet have a time frame to offer when the issue will be corrected".   However they go on to say,  they will do their best to try and resolve the problems quickly as possible.  Other than that there is nothing much more I can do but hey! at least you're not on your own.😉

Thanks to Zolive for detailing the installation as per the manual. I thought I had done every step, right every time...

With a prompt from DxIO support I downloaded the .pdf of the manual, put it on my second screen and followed it through point by point with the installation next to it... and there was a minor difference. And Nik showed up in the Filters when I had done the installation for the nth time — but rigorously.

If anyone is still having problems. Nik does work in Affinity 2, uninstall and go again — and follow the manual step by step paying careful attention to the extra bit about installing in Affinity. If it worked for me, it should work for you. Thanks again Zolive.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. I updated my Nik Collection yesterday to v6. I Installed it as usual, then opened Affinity Photo. No sign of any Nik plugin.

I looked at the installation folder and noticed a folder called bin. Within that there was a folder called plugins containing the .8bf files. I pointed Photo at this, and after a restart, it found all except Sharpener. I looked in the Nik Collection Directory and noticed that the Sharpener folder had yesterdays date. I pointed Photo at this folder and again it then found it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks for letting me know of how you got around this problem.  I have got it all installed now and yes, it does seem to want to install it in a different file or folder.   So, I ended up creating yet another folder just for the Nik Software and now, when they send me an update as they did a couple of days ago, I make extra sure that the update is directed to that folder and nothing else certainly not the one which is suggested first time around.